Rate my tank

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
If it was my tank, I'd have a lot more peace of mind if there was at least a piece of plywood under the tank. The overhanging edges seem like a disaster waiting to happen.
Me and my dad took that into consideration when setting up the tank but even though it looks like a big overhang it’s actually hardly 1-1.5” on one each side and the weight is evenly distributed through the table. We did a lot of work to make sure it wouldn’t flood the house.

Reactions: jacktar

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I'm not going to rate it but I will give you a few tips.....

1) Top off your water level.
2) Add more hardscape. Wood, rocks, etc....
3) Get a black background or some kind of background. Seeing tubing and electrical cords on white drywall takes away from what's inside the tank.
4) Less candy, more fruits and veggies.
5) Keep the glass clean.

But for real, if you are happy with it, then that's all that matters..... Don't worry about what people like us think.
? someone always has to bring up the candy, I should start working out again though lol. How do I keep the glass clean? I wipe down every now and then with a damp microfiber cloth and clean algae out with a magnet scraper and a sponge brush thing. I love the idea of rocks in the tank but I don’t have many left, I tried using aquarium glue a while ago to make a cave with the rocks and it turned out terrible so the only rocks I have left are pretty small or too big and have a high chance of him scraping his kok on. Wouldn’t a black background start to dull his colors? Cichlids change color based on their surroundings. I don’t like the look of topped off water level, are there and benefits to it?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I’d say a 5. I’m not a huge fan of the gravel color and feel a background would really help you. As well as filling the water to the top and getting a more dim light. But it’s not a BAD tank.
Why dim the light? What type of background would you suggest?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'll give it 11 out of 10. Oops, I forgot the decimal point, I meant 1.1 out of 10. Lol.

Joking aside, it's you who has to look at it everyday so if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

What's way more important than looks is keeping those water parameters in check. Looks aren't going to keep your fish healthy.

One change I would definitely make though is get some type of background.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I'll give it 11 out of 10. Oops, I forgot the decimal point, I meant 1.1 out of 10. Lol.

Joking aside, it's you who has to look at it everyday so if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

What's way more important than looks is keeping those water parameters in check. Looks aren't going to keep your fish healthy.

One change I would definitely make though is get some type of background.
What type of background, I actually did a water change today after getting rid of as much algae on the glass as I could.

jacktar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2021
What's the tank sitting on, a coffee table? I would invest or build a stand for her, heaps of stand DIY videos on youtube What cmsbthebest said with overhangs is so important . I'm new to this but I prefer to research the fish and what they would like then work from there. This is my first tank and the stand I built watching an 8 minute video. That said it looks nice, happy fishy gazing mate.
20210704_224224.jpg20210717_194701.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a piece of driftwood In the center but not a fan of it. I’m wanting to move it to one of the corners or remove it completely and put a bit bigger piece in its place that has a couple branches.
Sorry,I mrant a nice big show piece for the center.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
What's the tank sitting on, a coffee table? I would invest or build a stand for her, heaps of stand DIY videos on youtube What cmsbthebest said with overhangs is so important . I'm new to this but I prefer to research the fish and what they would like then work from there. This is my first tank and the stand I built watching an 8 minute video. That said it looks nice, happy fishy gazing mate.
View attachment 1467319View attachment 1467320
Thank you, how exactly would I move the tank to get a new stand? I don’t want to stress the crap out of daisy (my flowerhorn) with that move moving. I love that stand. Also I’d have to build the stand because I don’t have money to buy one and the tank is just big enough to fit in the spot that it’s in so the measurements for the stand would have to be to the exact millimeter.

Reactions: jacktar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store