Biggest mistakes you have made in aquarium keeping?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Tbh I think getting a reef system has the very real potential to become the biggest fishkeeping mistake of anyone who doesn't have a work from home job (and even the potential to become that of some who do). It's just so sensitive to minor fluctuations in, well, everything.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Tbh I think getting a reef system has the very real potential to become the biggest fishkeeping mistake of anyone who doesn't have a work from home job (and even the potential to become that of some who do). It's just so sensitive to minor fluctuations in, well, everything.
Actually it isn’t so bad. The first few months are subject to drastic change, but weekly maintenance is enough to keep it working. After about 6 months to a year it gets really easy. Only when something is going wrong is it actually really hard. Or if you choose particularly hard fish, inverts, or coral.
Without coral, it really isn’t much different from a freshwater tank, just with added salt.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Referring to topping off for consistent salinity and finicky animals/corals needing very specific lighting/feeding times that a lot of people may not be available for. These are the Achilles' heel of a lot of saltwater keepers from what I can find.

Of course, like you said, remove the coral and finicky animals and the only issue is the salt. I suppose that's why reef crashes are the most common over FO or FOWLR.

Reactions: Deadeye

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Welp,

In high school I had a 55 gallon with one KOI (Bullet), one albino channel catfish (Scat), one large oranda (Jolly), and a sailfin Pleco (Pete). No reason why that couldn't work...had a bloom that turned the water into white milk. I couldn't even see the fish! The catfish got so big he started head standing in the corner to fit (his tail would stick outside the tank.) The pleco jumped and disappeared to this day.

Big mistake #2, nearly cooking one of my current parrots in 105 degrees (someone had been using the dishwasher heating the water).

Big mistake #3, thinking I could come home late after partying and do a water change on the 225. Fell asleep. One hour later I had a swimming pool rec room. My Oscar got a kick out of it though. He was swimming right at the top with his back out of the water. Took 8 days to dry out.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store