Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
My tank is pretty settled in with:
Electric yellows
Dragon bloods
Star Sapphires
VC-10s
All are breeding groups of 3 or more, 210 gal, 7×2×2 tank.
The horny buggers are breeding alot, many mouthfuls of fish around.
I would like a predator hap to eat the youngsters going around. The tank in my eyes would look nice with a predator running around.
The catch is:
not to big to eat mbunas larger than say 2 1/2 inches. Somewhat mildly aggressive, not to mean. And would be happy as the only child, as bio load is a concern. Thanks

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
synodontis?
Also you seem to have rather calm mbuna so you can possibly add an altolamprologus from tanganyika. I would recommend 7-8 gold head compressiceps.

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
synodontis?
Also you seem to have rather calm mbuna so you can possibly add an altolamprologus from tanganyika. I would recommend 7-8 gold head compressiceps.
I would love to have altolamprologus. Would Tangs fit in a Mawali tank? Do you have experience with that?
I had a mixed tank in the early to mid 80s with Tangs, Mawalis and America cichlids. It was a challenge to say the least. The Africans were fairly new to the trade back then, not alot of knowledge I could find so there was carnage in the tank at times. I now live in a remote place, it is difficult to keep a tank here so not much drama is nice.

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I would love to have altolamprologus. Would Tangs fit in a Mawali tank? Do you have experience with that?
I had a mixed tank in the early to mid 80s with Tangs, Mawalis and America cichlids. It was a challenge to say the least. The Africans were fairly new to the trade back then, not alot of knowledge I could find so there was carnage in the tank at times. I now live in a remote place, it is difficult to keep a tank here so not much drama is nice.
With your mix of malawis and victorians, it should work fine especially given that calvus/comps are some of the most robust tangs. You can see them a lot with fish more aggressive in your stock as yellow labs are some of the most peaceful mbuna.

Reactions: Santiago 210

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I did not have luck with altolamprologus with Malawi. The fish just hovered in place and did not eat anyone. They only eat new fry in any case.

If you are only trying to get rid of new fry, I second the Synodontis nomination...a group of 5 multipunctatus.

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I did not have luck with altolamprologus with Malawi. The fish just hovered in place and did not eat anyone. They only eat new fry in any case.

If you are only trying to get rid of new fry, I second the Synodontis nomination...a group of 5 multipunctatus.
From papers I've read, they seem to be crustacean eaters more than fry eaters although they have an strong impression of being fry eaters in captivity. What malawi did you keep with them? Too aggressive and they could be stressed out although I'm not too sure.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I would recommend 7-8 gold head compressiceps.
I tried that. It doesn't work. Altolamprologus are really bad at eating mouthbrooder fry.

The best fry eating smaller cichlid from lake Tanganyika in my experience is Neolamprologus fasciatus.

I would suggest Nimbochromis linni. But they might have problems with the dragon bloods depending on how aggressive they are.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I tried that. It doesn't work. Altolamprologus are really bad at eating mouthbrooder fry.

The best fry eating smaller cichlid from lake Tanganyika in my experience is Neolamprologus fasciatus.

I would suggest Nimbochromis linni. But they might have problems with the dragon bloods depending on how aggressive they are.
Is it neolamprologus? I thought they were altolamps. Anyway, I can't seem to find them in the states. Great suggestion though

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
If you just want a very colorful solo dominant Predator Hap, my vote goes to the male Nimbochomis Fusco. I kept this guy for two years. Lost him to a sudden unidentified illness. One of my favorites.
20211013_074459.jpg

Reactions: Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store