What predator hap do you suggest?

BigBeardDaHuZi

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2020
Maybe an Electric Blue Sciaenochromis Fryeri? They stay smaller than a lot of the big predator haps - around 8 inches - so your mbuna should be fine. But they are a fry eater in the wild

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Just a different genus doesn't mean much when it comes to hybrids.
But it's clear that they are genetically quite far away from Altolamprologus and I have never heard of any hybrids.
It's still not clear if they are more closely related with N. multifasciatus and similis or if their next relatives are L. callipterus and N. wauthioni.

Reactions: nzeng1111

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
Maybe an Electric Blue Sciaenochromis Fryeri? They stay smaller than a lot of the big predator haps - around 8 inches - so your mbuna should be fine. But they are a fry eater in the wild
I could go with that, seems like one that could fit in, any ideas on something similar sized and temperament, but not so blue.
I have star Sapphires and they are very blue.

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
I could go with that, seems like one that could fit in, any ideas on something similar sized and temperament, but not so blue.
I have star Sapphires and they are very blue.
Another option could be a group of larger melanochromis think loriae/parallelus, which are much more peaceful than auratus or chipokae. I wouldn't do a single auratus or chipokae due to its aggression but a rarer more peaceful melanochromis like loriae/parallelus could coexist well even in a group.
Also it could be worth looking at the tanganyikan equivalent of melanochromis, lepidolamprologus. You can probably only keep a single one as they are aggressive when breeding, but from what I've heard are more peaceful alone. Kendalli gets to 8-9" and could eat fish up to 3-4" which may be dangerous while attenuatus gets smaller at 6" and could probably take a 1" fry. Also Milingu's suggestion of fasciatus would work great. Anecdotally, I've heard of full size neolamprologus sexfasciatus eating smaller fish, they get to a good size of 6-7" and if they are anything like tretocephalus, a single one wouldn't cause much trouble although I wouldn't keep a pair.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
f you are only trying to get rid of new fry, I second the Synodontis nomination...a group of 5 multipunctatus.
I concur with this sentiment. That fact that your current stock is not cleaning up the resulting fry ( a rather common occurrence in captivity) would lead me to believe that a fish that feeds in the darkness, such as synos, might be more effective at fry removal than a predatory hap. The other thing that you can do is lessen the smaller nooks and crannies so fry are forced out into the open more, and cut back on your feeding. Hungry fish such your stock list will generally remove small fry rather quickly, if the fry have no place to hide, and are forced out into the open. Even without syno cats present, fry never survived in my African set ups.

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
Well I do have lots of caves and hiding places in the tank. Perhaps more than a dozen. I thought it helps with natural behavior and calmer fish with places to relax.
I thought the placidochromis in the tank would be more effective at fry control perhaps they are getting some, but there are at least 15 3/4 inch kids running around.
The syn cats, can I get just one or two? And perhaps one predator hap?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store