Turtle Bone????!

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
So here is a question I personally never seen it done before for aquarium fish. Is it safe to use turtle bone for tropical fish like African cichlids??! My neighbor is using turtle bones for his African Cichlids and I never seen it done before. Have you guys used it before? I was going to Google it but I also wanted your opinion as well

71B49699-17D1-449A-A497-5D341C628049.jpeg

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
what is the turtle bone product intended for?
substrate?
i wouldn't use that or any sort of sand/crushed coral
if you want to feed your fish nutrients and such i would try to gut load earthworms or crickets with reptile multivitamin

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
what is the turtle bone product intended for?
substrate?
i wouldn't use that or any sort of sand/crushed coral
if you want to feed your fish nutrients and such i would try to gut load earthworms or crickets with reptile multivitamin
It is intended for turtles. I have African cichlids I would never feed them earthworms ?. I totally agree with you guys not use such thing. When I saw it I was literally tripping out lol. I didn't say anything to him because I wasn't to sure if he was right or wrong.

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
That's just cuttlebone. It mostly consists of crystalline calcium carbonate called Aragonite. It's like coral. It will not do any harm. It's just an expensive and in my eyes quite ineffective way of stabilising your pH like you do with crushed coral.
So this won't change the water elements like clarity?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
It will not affect the clarity. It will raise your pH and water hardness if the pH is below 7.
I have only seen it being used to provide minerals to snails and crustaceans when they were kept in softer water.
In a typical African cichlid tank with already alkaline water I wouldn't expect any noticeable effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store