Turtle Bone????!

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
It will not affect the clarity. It will raise your pH and water hardness if the pH is below 7.
I have only seen it being used to provide minerals to snails and crustaceans when they were kept in softer water.
In a typical African cichlid tank with already alkaline water I wouldn't expect any noticeable effect.
Thank you for educating me my friend. Never too old to learn ?

Reactions: Milingu

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i did a few water clarity experiments
flake fish food - didnt stain the water
bone meal - also no stain
limestone - stained the water yellow
mopani wood - stained the water dark orange

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That's just cuttlebone. It mostly consists of crystalline calcium carbonate called Aragonite. It's like coral. It will not do any harm. It's just an expensive and in my eyes quite ineffective way of stabilising your pH like you do with crushed coral.
Agree
Earthworms are great for omnivorous and carnivorous species.
But if heavily fed to semi-and primarily vegetarian species (like mbuna, and Trophies,) they can be deleterious to their digestive tracts.

As far as feeding turtle bone, the same concept may apply.
Carnivorous fish, get high calcium levels when the eat other fish (bones and all).
But for the African vegetarians above, or Central American vegetarians like Cincelichthys, or South American semi vegetarians like Severum, or Uaru, that eat higher plants or scrape and eat primarily algae, they may not tolerat the elevated calcium levels if fed as a steady diet.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
One thing to note on cuttlebone is that it is great fo puffer teeth. If you have puffers, sneaking that into their food allows them to grind their beaks down.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My fish get sufficient calcium intake from our local water, and of course all decent commercial dry fish food contains calcium along with all of the other essential minerals & elements. Calcium is a rather important nutrient for the proper development of fry & juvenile fish, but I wouldn't waste my $$$ on cuttlebone. lol

Reactions: Deadeye and Milingu

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
For Africans where you want the calcium, it's GOT to be more expensive than baking soda. ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store