Wood Digesting Pleco and Sponge filter

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This is my first Pleco specie I've kept that ingest wood. Well from the second week of having the Royal Pleco noticed sponge filters covered by wood particles. I hope this isn't interfering with the bacteria on the sponge. I have been rinsing and squeezing sponges during wc day.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Don't mind the wood if the Pleco is benefiting from it.
I think that is questionable. Old sticky/thread from 2012 posted below, with some more recent papers discussed at the end. IMO wood can be replaced with cleaner alternatives. Up to you.

Yet I know those that have kept panaques for years with no wood in their tanks, and no noticeable health issues of any kind. I know others with 12"+ Royal Panaques, that have never fed a single vegetable since their panaques were tiny juvies. These are massive plecos, with heads the size of my wrist, all grown out on commercial pellets & wafers.

While sucking/chewing on wood is a natural feeding behaviour, I do not believe that any species of pleco actually requires wood as part of their diet.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
IMO wood can be replaced with cleaner alternatives. Up to you.
I will be moving the Pleco to a aquarium without wood now. Appreciate your knowledge and info. This is a big relief ?

Reactions: RD.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Unsure if wood is required for diet but it's very clear they enjoy rasping wood. My opinion based on the fishes body language, energy/aura and intuition.

It's similar to keeping a schooling fish on its own. Still able to have a long healthy life but it will always be seeking .... something.

And clearly they have evolved for rasping, just look at dentures. Why don't you get denser hardwood? This will take longer and produce much finer residue.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Unsure if wood is required for diet but it's very clear they enjoy rasping wood. My opinion based on the fishes body language, energy/aura and intuition.

It's similar to keeping a schooling fish on its own. Still able to have a long healthy life but it will always be seeking .... something.

And clearly they have evolved for rasping, just look at dentures. Why don't you get denser hardwood? This will take longer and produce much finer residue.

There is no comparison between keeping a single schooling fish, and a pleco without wood. That pleco will simply seek out something else in the tank to scrape away at, be it a rock, a section of pipe, an intake tube, or even the glass itself. In fact, having kept a number of these fish over the years in both types of set ups, wood/no wood, I can assure everyone that the scraping of biofilm and rasping behaviour, is absolutely impossible to stop in these fish! Lol Not happening.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I decided to just leave it be and rasp away lol because it's not affecting the sponge filters. I have a 2 yr old Rummynose a Neon Tetra 3 Bumblebee catfish, and 2 Banjo Catfish as tankmates. Going to test the parameters tomorrow since I'll have a little downtime.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Agree that rasping plecos will chew on glass or plastic if there isn't anything else. Does this make them happy or desperate?

Would they prefer wood if available?

Slightly off topic but I used to produce ancistris spp in commercial volume with those aluminium framed IBC containers in shaded tunnels. I stopped because ingestion of microplastics was becoming more and more of a concern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store