Chasing Ohio State Record Esox Lucius...Northern Pike

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Now that is one beautiful Esox! I don't know who's got the wider grin.....you, or the pike, lol. :clap

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Now that is one beautiful Esox! I don't know who's got the wider grin.....you, or the pike, lol. :clap
Thanks man! I was shocked to say the least… had already checked 2 swims and was about to throw in the towel with freezing fingers… i do not do well in “winter”… finally getting a bit better at locating them. 1st “frenzy” ive had at 37 degree air temps lol ???. They were def. tuned up in the high winds. A day to remember for sure. Gives me some confidence to keep grinding when the snow flies haha…

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
One of my favourite fish species to pursue! Now that I no longer live in Muskie territory, Pike are my go-to fish. Locals up here look down on them as almost a trash species, preferring to target Walleye. To my mind, catching Walleye is about as exciting as snagging old rubber boots; Pike are worthy adversaries!

wednesday13 wednesday13 , you need an actual website, so computer illiterate dinosaurs like me can view and buy your wares. Just sayin'... :)

Reactions: wednesday13

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
To my mind, catching Walleye is about as exciting as snagging old rubber boots
Yeah, especially if the owner of said boots is still wearing them!! Lol.

I've caught my fair share of bottom trash over the years.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
was about to throw in the towel with freezing fingers… i do not do well in “winter”
Next time you go let me know and I will think about you whilst sitting in front of my new woodburner sweating in just my undercrackers, lol.

As a younger man I did many a winter shift on the bank side. There is literally nothing worse than having fingers and toes so cold that you can't feel them.......unless you go arse over tit on some bankside ice and fall in!!!! Now that is a whole lot worse, lol.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
One of my favourite fish species to pursue! Now that I no longer live in Muskie territory, Pike are my go-to fish. Locals up here look down on them as almost a trash species, preferring to target Walleye. To my mind, catching Walleye is about as exciting as snagging old rubber boots; Pike are worthy adversaries!

wednesday13 wednesday13 , you need an actual website, so computer illiterate dinosaurs like me can view and buy your wares. Just sayin'... :)
Not sure y so many people “hate” pike here in the u.s…. Same mentality in my area as well. Works to my advantage a bit since no1 really targets them. Most any accidental catches end up on a dinner plate here tho.
Working my way towards a website, im on the tail end of “computer illerate dinosaur” myself… ?. I did have the “choice” in my lifetime but went the other way lol… Hoping to open up with a website 1st of the year. Most my “interest” is from overseas ie UK, sweden, germany, france, italy and canada. My american “compadres” are having trouble understanding proper euro rigging techniques i use for all my rubber baits ??‍♂

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Next time you go let me know and I will think about you whilst sitting in front of my new woodburner sweating in just my undercrackers, lol.

As a younger man I did many a winter shift on the bank side. There is literally nothing worse than having fingers and toes so cold that you can't feel them.......unless you go arse over tit on some bankside ice and fall in!!!! Now that is a whole lot worse, lol.
haha its def. not enjoyable lol… im getting older and falling more also ?… trip to davey jones locker off the bank in winter is always a big fear. ??. Sadly 1 good fish is enough to keep u going back for more tho.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Pike are one of my favourites as well. Once walleye get over 18-20” they seem to not fight as hard I caught a 32” in a snaggy river and thought it was just a jog slowly cruising in lol. Don’t get me wrong walleye are great but I would rather fight a pike.
Esox…. Everything else is just bait ???… i prefer pike over Musky even ??‍♂… they get just as big and are actually evolutionary older … “the ancients” were always some of my favorite fish species to keep.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Not sure y so many people “hate” pike here in the u.s…. Same mentality in my area as well. Works to my advantage a bit since no1 really targets them. Most any accidental catches end up on a dinner plate here tho.
Working my way towards a website, im on the tail end of “computer illerate dinosaur” myself… ?. I did have the “choice” in my lifetime but went the other way lol… Hoping to open up with a website 1st of the year. Most my “interest” is from overseas ie UK, sweden, germany, france, italy and canada. My american “compadres” are having trouble understanding proper euro rigging techniques i use for all my rubber baits ??‍♂
Its the same with pretty much anything thats not a bass or walleye. Bowfin, Gar, burbot (this one makes no sense they are cod people love cod). Here in new brunswick not even small mouth and musky are safe. Most of the fishermen here throw smallmouth on the banks and kill musky all because they might eat a trout here or there. They try to blame them for the diminishing trout and salmon populations. No thats not the musky thats the thousands of anglers who choose to keep the fish. Us humans have completely wped out the atlantic salmon not the muskies. Hopfully they realize that the days of salmon fishing are gone and accept the musky we have.

Reactions: wednesday13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store