Help, what happened to my bichir

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Both fish with cloudy eyes overnight??? Did they like run into each other head on? I think not.
Have a great time at the stay over.
That’s what I’m thinking?
the congicus bichir had a bloodied front jaw before I left the house. It has some scrapes on the head too. Lapardei bichir, ansorgii bichir also have 2 of their fingers torn. I could be wrong that they got cloudy eye from that, it’s just a pure guess bruh.

correct me if I’m wrong but I’m unsure as well.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
1 cloudy eye on a bichir (or any fish) is typically the result of a physical injury. Both eyes cloudy overnight on 1 fish, and another fish showing issues is more likely water quallity.

What's also troubling is the excessive "slime". That's either a reaction to the water or an infection that looks like slime coat. https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-2-4-epistylis/

Last edited:
Reactions: Polypterus_36

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Yes, I noticed 1-2 of my other bichirs losing some of their slimecoat as well (sticking to their bodies). I am fairly certain The Eye was due to an injury but unsure of the slimecoat. Is it spreadable? If it is a disease, what should I add into the tank before any further problems?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Without a microscope and a scrape of the "slime", it would be hard to tell.

Well if it's an external issue, my go to is to try methylene blue first but that will kill your bacteria in the tank, so it would have to be a bath in a tub for at least 30-60 minutes, 1 teaspoon per 3-5 gallons. You could also add dissolved salt as a dip and slowly add it during that time frame (using a cup), at least 1 tablespoon per gallon, adding until it becomes way too uncomfortable. I would do this at least 3 days in a row.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
The slimecoat seems to have disappeared on the bichirs. Now it’s just injuries from ramming into the tank I assume.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Any guesses on what happened to the ornate? Any suggestions are helpful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store