MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
It happened overnight, I’m not sure what happened to my ornate but it’s entire body is covered in slimecoat and it’s eye has turned cloudy. Same with my poli bichir which eye is cloudy as well. The ornate is Lerthargic and not moving much, just getting pushed around by my other bichirs. How do I fix it?? What happened??

0519CCE4-CF82-4B6D-BEA8-8E9F8B254462.jpeg

42EDD78D-7D22-4291-8253-DCC44A231345.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d move to a quarantine tank if able. Keep the water level low so it can keep upright. Belly touching the bottom of the tank. Dose some epsom salt 3 tbsp per 5g. Don’t feed. Could have bumped the tank wall or top. Keep the water pristine.

Reactions: 1 2many

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
i would move him to a smaller tank and dose salt. If two of them are having issues its either a disease or something wrong with the water. You Nitrites are rather high try doing a large water change. When I had my delhezis I noticed that as soon as nitrates got a little high there eyes would start to get cloudy and as soon as a water change was done they went back to normal. Im not sure why this happened it did not seem to cause them any discomfort and I would always do a water change immediately when I saw it even if it did not line up with the wc schedule.

Reactions: 1 2many

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
I agree with kno4te and Kelly_Aquatics. Quarantine ASAP clean water + salt. What is the Ph in the main tank?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Ammonia spike, followed by increase in nitrite …better check your filters and under any decorations for lots of detritus or decaying matter.

each fish has their own individual tolerance to bad conditions so some show it earlier than other

time to do a large water change to reduce nitrite levels in water and add salt to prevent further nitrite poisoning. if you can get methylene blue, it can reverse nitrite poisoning

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hey, sorry for responding late, I’m at my friends house. The nitrites are definitely not at 10, I never tested it. I just needed a quick response to see what medications were needed. As said I was at my friends house.

my mother sent me this, it has passed. I will do a water test to checkwater parameters once I go home from my stay over. What I think happened was it injuring itself overnight, causing it’s eye to turn cloudy.

1E7399B5-59FE-4306-9582-E6CC6AFC2DC6.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Both fish with cloudy eyes overnight??? Did they like run into each other head on? I think not.
Have a great time at the stay over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store