Flowerhorn growout

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
There hasn’t been any flashing for a while now and he suddenly got a lot more aggressive but I haven’t noticed much if any growth lately but I’m sure that’s normal

Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Is there any guesses to how much more he’s gonna grow and how long it’ll take? He’s maybe 8” ’from tail to kok

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Is there any guesses to how much more he’s gonna grow and how long it’ll take? He’s maybe 8” ’from tail to kok
Average is anywhere between 8-14in for most male FH's. Females tend to stay towards the lower end of that range and rarely reach 12in. Some males have been recorded to get to 16in but that's very rare.

Only ever seen 1 that big and sadly he was crammed into a 10-15g tank with 4 8-10in tinfoil barbs (they were all previously part of someone's 150g that sprung a leak and they didn't want to fix the tank so they just dropped them off at the LFS). I managed to rescue 3 of the tinfoils (regret it to this day, $140 worth of plants gone over night) but couldn't do anything for the FH or the 4th Barb. They wanted $360 for the FH and the 4th tinfoil had his entire spinal column fully exposed by the FH chewing on his back.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yea I assumed it was normal. Don’t know what it is but this morning he’s extremely skittish
That's also normal from what I've noticed over the years. Seems like 1 minute that can be as mean as a convict and the next they are flightier (totally a real word no need to Google, jk) then a danio in a predator tank lol. No clue as to why they do this but it seems to be a common thing for em.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Your FH is looking good. IME water changes are best left to a day with no food. Water changes can be a stressful event with some fish, and with changing water parameters, even if slight, I have always felt it best to not feed on the same day, certainly not at the same time. Fish don’t need to eat every day. I think that a weekly purge is healthy for a fish, just as intermittent fasting is for humans. Just something to consider. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store