Tell me about the pink tail chalceus

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
A few further questions on skittishness that I hadn't considered: how likely is it that the red tail shark and the weather loaches I'm planning to have with the chalceus might scare it and make it jump or bash?
My worry with the red tail shark is that it might turn aggressive to the chalceus, and my worry with the weather loaches is that their unpredictable, fast darts across and up/down the tank might spook the chalceus.
I was planning on not adding the red tail shark until well after the chalceus was settled in, but I'm not sure when the best time to add the weather loaches would be.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My PTC didn't scare over other fish. It's the humans that scare it.
Mine was with Roseline sharks, Cory cats, Tetras, Nanolutae and HRPS. No problems at all.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
tiger15 tiger15 I’m jealous to see yours in your planted tank. My yellowfin chalceus ate everything, even Anubias….

• Wow
Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
On the subject of the yellow fin chalceus, I've got my fingers crossed that that won't be the species my local aquarium store orders when it comes time to buy mine and I place an order. The yellow fins and black dot near the head 'muddy' up the appearance compared to the pink tail chalceus, to my taste.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Awesome fish. I loved mine, got along great with silver dollars and pictus cats. But my 6 foot wasn't enough, or certainly with lots of thick wood inside. When it took off it would swim into something and ended up with a beat up mouth in the end.

20190516_200821.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There's a lot of confusion with this fish. There are four species of Chalceus. The epakros, guaporensis, macrolepidotus and the erythrurus. I did a bit of research when I got my pinktail chalceus (macrolepidotus). As it got older it developed a lot of yellow in its pelvic fins, which I discovered the true pinktail doesn't have. I had, in fact purchased the Chalceus erythrurus, also known as the tucan fish.

In my opinion the bright yellow pelvic fins and red tail fin made this fish much more appealing than the true pinktail, the macrolepidotus. Mine got to a thick 11" or so before passing.

So, if you want the true pinktail (macrolepidotus), then order than specific fish. But I think the erythrurus is better looking. I wouldn't worry about the other two species as you don't seem to see much of them about.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
There's a lot of confusion with this fish. There are four species of Chalceus. The epakros, guaporensis, macrolepidotus and the erythrurus. I did a bit of research when I got my pinktail chalceus (macrolepidotus). As it got older it developed a lot of yellow in its pelvic fins, which I discovered the true pinktail doesn't have. I had, in fact purchased the Chalceus erythrurus, also known as the tucan fish.

In my opinion the bright yellow pelvic fins and red tail fin made this fish much more appealing than the true pinktail, the macrolepidotus. Mine got to a thick 11" or so before passing.

So, if you want the true pinktail (macrolepidotus), then order than specific fish. But I think the erythrurus is better looking. I wouldn't worry about the other two species as you don't seem to see much of them about.
Got any pictures of the fish and setup? Nice size!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I am considering 6 of each for my 450 but wonder if that is enough to spread aggression

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Got any pictures of the fish and setup? Nice size!
This is the only picture I have of him, I thought I had more. He was a great fish, one of my favourites. I always thought it was the chalceus macrolepidotus, but in the end, due to those very obvious yellow pelvic fins, I strongly believe he was in fact the chalceus erythrurus, also called the tucan fish.

As mentioned, he maxed out at about 11", and he was as thick as my wrist. He passed in 2019.

20190922_170410.jpg

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Hopefully my 1.83m tank with minimal wood will be enough for C. macrolepidotus. Also, I hope I'll get a more inactive specimen, as some on the thread have reported theirs to be.

E ESOX , very impressive girth on that tucanfish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store