Tell me about the pink tail chalceus

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I remember way back when I got my Charlie. The stuff i'd read hinted that they were predators and that they'd take small fish if the opportunity presented itself. But mine never bothered any other fish. It just lay still at the top waiting for food to drop in.
More reassurance, yay!
For curiosity's sake, did you ever have yours in with your Odessa barbs, roseline sharks, and clown loaches? Asking since those species will be or likely will be some of the exact fish going with mine.

I wonder if their inactive nature is also explained by their insect diet, since an insectivore is more likely to not scare its prey off if it is slow like a chalceus instead of fast like a bala shark? Would hold up to logic well.

I'd say by all means, go ahead and get one for your 1363 liter. Funny enough, the chalceus was the precise fish that made the tank I'm planning to have it in feel 'complete', so hopefully you'll get one more and have that same satisfaction.

By the way, your Charlie was a Charlene, at least according to Aquarium Glaser:

1650313611033.png
Thanks for commenting esox!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
For curiosity's sake, did you ever have yours in with your Odessa barbs, roseline sharks, and clown loaches?
It's a little hazy but I don't think "Charlene" (lol) was ever in with my really small stuff, even in the early days, though obviously it would have been small itself then too, it was 3" when I got it.

By the time I started stocking my old 180g with small community fish the Chalceus had long been moved to my 360g where it was the smallest fish!

The big question of will a Chalceus go for top swimming small community fish is unfortunately one I can't answer.

My chocolate cichlid of all fish is the one which took a liking to my Odessas, lol.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Fair. There's at least Backfromthedead's input, so you being unable to answer is fine.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I finally brought the macrolepidotus and erythrurus together in the 125g. Chalceus are aggressive to its own kind so I have to wait for the latter to reach comparable size of the former. Thanks god they get along with no sparring I was afraid of . I took pics of both side by side for comparison. The macrolepidotus is 4 year old probably reaching full size. The erythrurus is one year old growiing at 1/2 inch a month and will likely surpass the macrolepidotus. The macrolepidotus has more pointed nose, tail and anal fins. The erythrurus has not only yellow but larger ventral fins, and the anal fin is closer to the tail. They are large tetra with cichlid demeanor and taking photo of them is easy as they are motionless like cichlid.

8EDEECE6-DB49-4E9C-99E9-BE7863493573.jpeg

DC1B2CD9-6E4A-4B1B-9EBA-B9AFB0D41835.jpeg

4897E876-1448-4881-8E56-BD1F58DFBE25.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I finally brought the macrolepidotus and erythrurus together in the 125g. Chalceus are aggressive to its own kind so I have to wait for the latter to reach comparable size of the former. Thanks god they get along with no sparring I was afraid of . I took pics of both side by side for comparison. The macrolepidotus is 4 year old probably reaching full size. The erythrurus is one year old growiing at 1/2 inch a month and will likely surpass the macrolepidotus. The macrolepidotus has more pointed nose, tail and anal fins. The erythrurus has not only yellow but larger ventral fins, and the anal fin is closer to the tail. They are large tetra with cichlid demeanor and taking photo of them is easy as they are motionless like cichlid.

View attachment 1494436

View attachment 1494437

View attachment 1494439
Very nice pickups
Are male and female different colors?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Just as well that this thread was updated, because I had been meaning to.
The layout of my future custom tank where my future chalceus will ultimately end up in has changed, it's going to be 78cm wide instead of 61cm. But as a tradeoff for more width, the height has been reduced from 45cm to 37cm.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is OK for a chalceus?
On one hand, esoxlucius mentioned that he found his was a very inactive fish and didn't go below the top 15cm of the water column, so it's likely deep enough to allow comfortable general swimming for the fish. It may also restrict the urge to jump out, because the shallowness - although it does seem ok for general swimming - may not allow enough momentum to allow a scared fish to jump.

On the other hand, such a shallow tank could put it into a space conflict with my bottom dwelling clown loaches. They will grow into robustly built, active, and tall-bodied bottom dwellers, and with a full 6 of them in such a shallow tank, the chalceus may be cramped.
But of course I'm not certain of whether or not it would, which is why I ask.

Advice much appreciated, I know I've been asking for a lot of it in this thread!

Reactions: Deadeye

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Very nice pickups
Are male and female different colors?
There is no sexual dimorphism I am aware of.

Just as well that this thread was updated, because I had been meaning to.
The layout of my future custom tank where my future chalceus will ultimately end up in has changed, it's going to be 78cm wide instead of 61cm. But as a tradeoff for more width, the height has been reduced from 45cm to 37cm.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is OK for a chalceus?
On one hand, esoxlucius mentioned that he found his was a very inactive fish and didn't go below the top 15cm of the water column, so it's likely deep enough to allow comfortable general swimming for the fish. It may also restrict the urge to jump out, because the shallowness - although it does seem ok for general swimming - may not allow enough momentum to allow a scared fish to jump.

On the other hand, such a shallow tank could put it into a space conflict with my bottom dwelling clown loaches. They will grow into robustly built, active, and tall-bodied bottom dwellers, and with a full 6 of them in such a shallow tank, the chalceus may be cramped.
But of course I'm not certain of whether or not it would, which is why I ask.

Advice much appreciated, I know I've been asking for a lot of it in this thread!
Your tank has more than enough width and depth as it is taller and wider than the fish, but don’t know if you have enough length. Chalceus are long and narrow fish, and appreciate a 6 foot tank at full size. Mine are already 9 inch, not sure how much more they can grow. They are fast fish, good jumper and easily startled, but prefer to stay motionless.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That tank is going to be 2.42m long. Presumably that will be plenty, as it's 1/3 longer than a 1.83m tank,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store