• this actually makes sense

Votes: 87 79.8%

• Total voters

fish nerd 84

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
tennessee
I have been on this forum for sometime now I normally keep quiet and read a lot, but don't post much. But this post deserves a sticky if this is what you call a rant then I want more. Very informative bro I can't believe I never have come across this post before.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I recently had guys tell me I was wrong for giving my advice to a guy about temps for rays...the guy was running his temp in the high 80's and I told him he should lower it to 80-82 and even that is high. Guess I'm not as dumb as everybody thought. Lol

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I recently had guys tell me I was wrong for giving my advice to a guy about temps for rays...the guy was running his temp in the high 80's and I told him he should lower it to 80-82 and even that is high. Guess I'm not as dumb as everybody thought. Lol
I think you're wrong. It's not natural by any means but high temps can be useful in many situations (pup grow out, sickness, getting rays to eat, etc). Rays come from the deep cool water and are tolerant of a wide range of temps. That said I don't run my tank at 80, I'm in the 74-76 range.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Pleased this post was bumped.
Great information and it all made a lot of sense to me.
Also agree with the temperature thing.I keep my ray at 78.
I think a lot of fish are short lived in too high temperatures.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Man I miss that guy.......

Gets my vote for one of the most helpful minds I've ever crossed on this board.

One of my goals as a raykeeper is to be able to answer "yes" to this thread...... Hoping within the next few years I'll be able to.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

a rant about hybridization, wild Vs tank, too much bling and the health perils of importing from Asia is probably due☺
You know what REALLY peaks my interest in this thread?

The thought of this guy's rant on the subject of too much bling....... I think I'd pay money to hear it.

Not to mention some of the other mentioned subjects like the health perils of importing from Europe especially in a day and age where we arre paying MORE for "mutts" then pure blooded rays.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I think you're wrong. It's not natural by any means but high temps can be useful in many situations (pup grow out, sickness, getting rays to eat, etc). Rays come from the deep cool water and are tolerant of a wide range of temps. That said I don't run my tank at 80, I'm in the 74-76 range.
I think you may have misunderstood me...the guy was running his ray tank in the high 80's as a normal constant temp. There is solid evidence that this will drastically shorten the life of a ray. I run temps at 80-82 for pups to get them gaining weight fast, also like to run a higher temp for newly aquired WC rays to get them eating and stable. Larger established rays mid to upper 70's is where I'm comfortable keeping the temps. So you think I'm wrong, yet you follow the same method? Confusing

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store