5 sided plywood tank?!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I can do that with pond shield. When the epoxy cures in the mixing bowl, I peel ot out and it comes out in one piece. It's stretchy and flexible. You can wad it up in a ball and it doesn't break. I have no idea where anyone got the idea pond shield is brittle. It's specifically designed for aquarium applications, and has a proven track record. I personally wouldn't use anything else for a wooden tank.

Reactions: TexasMFK31

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Thanks J jaws7777 !! Didn't figure you had seen this thread. I'm extremely happy with this tank. I incorporated some of your ideas on dual herbie overflows into this build...with my own twist! Lol. The filtration and placement of overflows is very unique. 10 bulkheads in total. The tank is plumbed directly to my house plumbing. Can do waterchanges by turning a couple valves! Super convenient! It's by far my easiest tank to take care of.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Any pics on how you did the filtration? How come herbie instead of beananimal.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The way everything is under that stand makes it difficult to get any pics that would show much. Half the plumbing is behind the sump tanks. The overflow is sort of a herbie, but really my own invention. No overflow box. I used 90° elbows for the 2 1.5" overflows. 3/4" with a strainer for the full syphon. It's very quiet and moves 2100 gph no problem. I used ball valves on all three overflows to fine tune for quiet operation. The highest 1.5" elbow is wide open and only takes on a small amount of water. All three run into a 65 gallon tank through a 7×16 200 micron filter sock. 65 gallon tank is full of K1. Three bulkheads run off of that into a 45 gallon tank that has more mechanical and bio in one chamber. Pump and heaters in the next chamber plus 1.5" bulkhead plumbed to the house sewer for drip and waterchanges. The other end of the tank has a 3/4" bulkhead at about half way plumbed to drain, hot, and cold water for waterchanges. Has a hose fitting so I can stick a hose on and syphon bottom of tank when needed. Built a 3/4" spay bar at that end of tank pointed straight down to direct flow across bottom of tank. Keeps the tiled bottom spotless.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Here's a short video of the tank with fish
Dude i need to check out this section more. The water is crystal clear, that with the tiled bottom makes the fish look like they are swimming on my bathroom floor. Really nice job bro

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Dude i need to check out this section more. The water is crystal clear, that with the tiled bottom makes the fish look like they are swimming on my bathroom floor. Really nice job bro
Thanks man! It looks even better now that it's been running for a while. A few minor adjustments and it stays crystal clear and tile stays free of debris. Couldn't be happier!

Reactions: jaws7777

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I agree, commenting here again. You did a stellar job Travis. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for you pal.

Keep up the good work

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store