How much did your tank cost?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I try not to buy new tanks, especially ones from large stores. Instead, I get them from people (many often move and don't trust movers or just can't take them.) And the new ones that I did buy new were from the very local lfs where the owner, wife and I knew each other by name. So I waited for sales or got a good deal in every case. I just won't lay out a lot of cash where I can get what I want a lot cheaper by waiting. (If I do, I just hate it later.)

Most of the equipment was mail ordered as well since store prices tend to be a lot higher.

If you buy new at stores, $3.50 - $7.00 per gallon sounds about right for the tank if one buys at regular price. Canopy and lights is extra. Stands can be made, but purchased ones can be pricey. I don't mind making my own.

I want reply to reef systems because I never priced one or owned one.

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I will agree that NJ is a good state for fishkeeping.
I generally only buy tanks on craigslist. I have gone through quite a few setups over the years, I think the most I spent was 400$ on a 125g with stand, Fx5, top, lights, etc.
My current "larger" setup is a 5' 80g (custom size the guy had built) that I found on craigslist for 100$, haggled to 80$.
I also run Chinese filters, the brand is "sunsun" and you can get a 525 gph filter for about 70$ shipped. I have run a couple of these, they last a few years then the impeller gets too noisey. But they work well and have built in UV sterilizers, for about 1/3 the price of an eheim. I also find them 100x easier to clean than my eheims.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I know this a taboo subject for some, but there's a fair amount of anonymity on a web forum so I wanted to pry into some of your finances. I've just compiled all of my expenses from when I started with my 75 gallon tank a couple months ago up to today and some planned expenses as well.

How about y'all?

I know a lot of you have like 10 or 12 tanks so I guess I'll refer to your nicest single tank lol
hahaha!!! asking how much one paid for a tank and setup is like asking a lady for her age and weight.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com

The key to having a tank that looks like a million bucks but doesn't have a lot invested is doing as much DIY as you can, plus being involved in local fish clubs so you can get better pricing on stock from fellow members.

The above tank is my acrylic 240g I finished up about 6 months ago. Most people that come to the house and see it think I have at least 3 to 5 grand into it, a real break down on it though ...

240 acrylic tank used $500
Materials for DIY stand- $120
LED lights- $110
Pair of used FX5 filters - $225
Rebuild parts for both Fx5's- $80
Heaters - $50
Substrate -$10 of playsand
Materials for 3D background- $125
Various odd & ends - about $125
Fish stock- Few hundred from local club members/auctions

So all said & done I have maybe $1500 range into it give or take a little either way. Which IMO is a pretty small amount for the real enjoyment it brings me. Doing DIY saves a bunch when it comes to tanks. I have over 100 hours of labor just into my background alone, so I wouldn't even want to try to think what it would have cost me to pay someone else to do it :eek:

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
DIY? OMG I think I'll break my stuff more than I'll make it work for my plan....LMAO hahahaha :p Well, I'll design/draw my plan and my dad will make it for me :p works fine like that! Now, I call its team work.....

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store