WTF is wrong with People?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Fearmongering lead to lots of issues with pitt bull owners.
I don't know pitt bulls, but a friend of mine's younger sister was mauled by their neighbor's pitt bull. It is almost ten years and a bit of plastic surgery later, and she still has a spiderweb of scars on her face. The mauling was done when she was maybe 5 years old, and it was done in her front yard. Maybe it is just a bad dog owner, people kill people with cars all the time... but I am not so sure it is just 'fearmongering' these dogs have against them. I have no knowledge on the subject past what i have just said, and no real opinion, but I suspect there is legitimate reason to be afraid of such a dog.
If I were to smuggle anything in it'd be an Asian Arowana. I have no clue why they are illegal it baffles me lol.
Same reason why that guy could keep a tiger without anyone stopping him. Bureaucracy. Why anyone, even a 13 year old, can buy and carry a sword or a bow, but a muzzleloader requires a gun license that they make hard to get (in NY).

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I don't know pitt bulls, but a friend of mine's younger sister was mauled by their neighbor's pitt bull. It is almost ten years and a bit of plastic surgery later, and she still has a spiderweb of scars on her face. The mauling was done when she was maybe 5 years old, and it was done in her front yard. Maybe it is just a bad dog owner, people kill people with cars all the time... but I am not so sure it is just 'fearmongering' these dogs have against them. I have no knowledge on the subject past what i have just said, and no real opinion, but I suspect there is legitimate reason to be afraid of such a dog.
Same reason why that guy could keep a tiger without anyone stopping him. Bureaucracy. Why anyone, even a 13 year old, can buy and carry a sword or a bow, but a muzzleloader requires a gun license that they make hard to get (in NY).
I suppose fearmongering was quite a strong word. I'm not sure what the proper word under this context would be, but I didn't mean to imply it was unwarranted or exaggerated. I just mean tigers could be a less prolific pitt bull. I don't have a horse in the pitt debate.

Reactions: J. H.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Lots of great points in this thread, it's been a very interesting read!

Here's my take on keeping all animals. It is (or should be) the individual's right to own that animal. However, it is (and/or should be) the individual's responsibility to properly care for that animal, and to keep the general public out of harm's way of that animal.
With most animals, you're not talking about any risk at all - however there are a select few where this plays in.

Big cats, bears, crocodilians, large primates (all apes, plus the larger monkeys like macaques and such), elephants, and a few others that you could in theory get if you REALLY wanted to, all could be considered dangerous. We may want to include large constrictors and venomous snakes as well, although the risk is far lower.

As with all animals (again, IMO) - every individual should have a right to keep these creatures. That is IF AND ONLY IF - they can properly care for them, and they are able to absolutely keep the public out of harm's way from these animals.

Being able to properly care for these animals means a steady year-round food source, adequate space, ESCAPE-PROOF HOUSING, a certified veterinarian, and mental stimulation, to name a few. Keeping the animal cared for goes hand-in-hand with keeping the public safe - the animal is not well cared for if it is able to escape from its cage in any way, shape, or form.

How do we determine if somebody is capable of caring for these animals? Well, this is where it gets tricky. Most of this is opinion - so if we were to actually create a law on this matter, we would need to create a panel of people who have cared for these animals (aka experienced zookeepers of a high ranking), and get them to agree upon something that is considered adequate.
Then we would need Fish and Wildlife (most likely) to send out people to inspect enclosures for these animals and everything, to ensure they will be properly cared for. The owner would pay for these visits, they could happen once a year, twice a year, however often.

I will say this - that would deter everyone BUT the hardcore enthusiasts from keeping these animals. And those hardcore enthusiasts are exactly the people that should be allowed to keep these animals - they will be willing to put in the time and the effort to properly care for them.
And yes, there are people out there that can properly house these animals. It's the same way with sharks - you wouldn't think there are that many people out there that can house a 6'+ shark, but there certainly are. It can be done for much cheaper than most would think, you just need to know the tricks of the trade :)

Sorry for the wall of text, hope someone enjoys it. Great thread!
Drew

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Alot of states big cats are legal to own right along with bears,wolves and other exotics. You can complain all you want about them but the samething can be said about the monster fish hobby on how we shouldnt keep what we keep and the samething about the reptile trade. If you have the money, passion and knowledge about the exotic pet then why not if thats what your into.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I bet the tiger was smuggled in from somewhere in Ohio.Things have gotten more difficult due to crackdowns but the state has quite a trade in large exotic animalsl.
Not sure if theres new laws now but it use to be legal to own big cats in NY and you didnt even have to report them if they got out. Really easy to get into that hobhy... check local laws and states. Get permits etc lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure if theres new laws now but it use to be legal to own big cats in NY and you didnt even have to report them if they got out. Really easy to get into that hobhy... check local laws and states. Get permits etc lol
I seem to recall an article from a few years ago about a guy in NY getting in trouble after someone ratted him out for having a tiger cub.He lived in one of those high rise tenements and he kept the cub in a dog crate and fed it raw chicken.
I'm sure there are laws there regarding such.I really don't see what the big deal of living in that city is with it's high prices for housing and it's congestion.It isjust about impossible for a law abiding citizen to obtain a gun permit and I hear of new restrictions being imposed all the time so I'd imagine keeping such animals is no walk in the park.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Not sure if theres new laws now but it use to be legal to own big cats in NY and you didnt even have to report them if they got out.
I don't know what is legal or even how to find out. I worked for a while as a cook, my boss was an old lady who kept chickens in Woodbourne, NY (a little town 100mi north of NYC). She had kept chickens for probably 60+ years, some of that time in a fire escape in Brooklyn, and never had any issues. Anyway, some cops decided to do a bust, confiscated her chickens and gave her a fine for keeping 'illegal' animals. Needless to say, she was unhappy. If it was legal for her to have a tiger, that would be nuts.
I'm sure there are laws there regarding such.I really don't see what the big deal of living in that city is with it's high prices for housing and it's congestion.It isjust about impossible for a law abiding citizen to obtain a gun permit and I hear of new restrictions being imposed all the time so I'd imagine keeping such animals is no walk in the park.
Sure, laws get tougher, I keep ducks, and the list of laws they have where I live for 'fowlhouses' would make you think they were written for the sole purpose of preventing people from keeping any kind of bird.

I suspect this is the old government stupidity "They carefully construct their nets to catch the minnows while letting whales slip through" - a good quote, not sure were it is from, but it sums up government regulation in its entirety.

Reactions: Hendre

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I don't know what is legal or even how to find out. I worked for a while as a cook, my boss was an old lady who kept chickens in Woodbourne, NY (a little town 100mi north of NYC). She had kept chickens for probably 60+ years, some of that time in a fire escape in Brooklyn, and never had any issues. Anyway, some cops decided to do a bust, confiscated her chickens and gave her a fine for keeping 'illegal' animals. Needless to say, she was unhappy. If it was legal for her to have a tiger, that would be nuts.

Sure, laws get tougher, I keep ducks, and the list of laws they have where I live for 'fowlhouses' would make you think they were written for the sole purpose of preventing people from keeping any kind of bird.

I suspect this is the old government stupidity "They carefully construct their nets to catch the minnows while letting whales slip through" - a good quote, not sure were it is from, but it sums up government regulation in its entirety.
That's because chickens are probably listed as farm animals and that they aren't allowed within city limits. I'm sure some city's have regulations and some don't. The ones that don't I'd guess fall under state laws at that point for exotic cats.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
That's because chickens are probably listed as farm animals and that they aren't allowed within city limits. I'm sure some city's have regulations and some don't. The ones that don't I'd guess fall under state laws at that point for exotic cats.
I can see a thing like that happening, but does that make sense to you? I think steam powered and valveless pulsejet powered road vehicles (yes that is a real burst of flame coming out the back) are not regulated in many states. Just because almost noone has one it should be legal?

iuhgbnhjkjhb.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Slippery slope....in the states where they are allowed very few people own fully automatic firearms.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store