source of this information?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
everything I found on this subject states that
1. collared lizards are bigger and can be more aggressive
2. both species have different requirements
3. collared lizard might eat the leopard gecko. simple as that.
4. collared lizards like bright, hot, UVB lights to bask while leos do not need UVB and can get stressed by temps over 95F.

"You don't mix species because though they may live in the same area in the wild it certainly is not in a 20g aquarium. Collared Lizards are native to N. America, Leopard Geckos are native to the Middle East (Iran, Pakistan, India, etc). From that fact alone on natural location you could surmise that they will have differing husbandry needs. Both are carnivores/insectivores and considering that the collared lizard gets several inches longer than the leos the collared may look to the leos as a source of nutrition and eat them (or start by eating parts of them such as tails). A single collared lizard would be cramped by itself in just a 20g, let alone having to share space with two other occupants. " ~Becky B on yahoo answers (best thing I could find)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
everything I found on this subject states that
1. collared lizards are bigger and can be more aggressive
2. both species have different requirements
3. collared lizard might eat the leopard gecko. simple as that.
4. collared lizards like bright, hot, UVB lights to bask while leos do not need UVB and can get stressed by temps over 95F.

"You don't mix species because though they may live in the same area in the wild it certainly is not in a 20g aquarium. Collared Lizards are native to N. America, Leopard Geckos are native to the Middle East (Iran, Pakistan, India, etc). From that fact alone on natural location you could surmise that they will have differing husbandry needs. Both are carnivores/insectivores and considering that the collared lizard gets several inches longer than the leos the collared may look to the leos as a source of nutrition and eat them (or start by eating parts of them such as tails). A single collared lizard would be cramped by itself in just a 20g, let alone having to share space with two other occupants. " ~Becky B on yahoo answers (best thing I could find)
True in part however 1.keep similar sized lizards together as both are known lizard eaters, 2. in a 55 gallon aquarium u can easily create a hotter side and a cooler side allowing each to live comfortably together and 3 don't underestimate leopard geckos they r tougher than they look, and I have kept them with many different tankmates such as certain North American toads for long periods of time

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I would need to see more information as well.

I would never consider keeping collard lizards and leo's together

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
Nothing.

they dont even do well when put with other members of the same family. (like angramainyu and hardwickii)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nothing.

they dont even do well when put with other members of the same family. (like angramainyu and hardwickii)
Well that's obvious,as the males are territorial,however to claim they get along with nothing is extremely narrow minded and highly wrong

Mark90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Well that's obvious,as the males are territorial,however to claim they get along with nothing is extremely narrow minded and highly wrong
Not really. They are solitary animals. People just have a habit of forcing them together because they attach human emotions to them. They don't get lonely. They don't make friends. Housing them together only stimulates aggression, territorial behavior, and competition for resources.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Not really. They are solitary animals. People just have a habit of forcing them together because they attach human emotions to them. They don't get lonely. They don't make friends. Housing them together only stimulates aggression, territorial behavior, and competition for resources.
True, True. I completely agree with this statement. I even if I happen to find myself with multiple female leos, even though I can house them together, it's easier to keep them solitary just because it makes them easier to care for.
unless I'm hand feeding them, there's no way I can tell which gecko is eating how much.
also their...poop... for one, it's twice the poop in one tank. another thing- if you know geckos, you know that most of the time their poop reflects their health. If you don't know which gecko made the runny, unhealthy stuff... how are you going to know which one did it? how are you going to know which one to treat?
same goes for fat tails, but thing with them is they're less aggressive so people usually keep them together...

edit- and as for what you said about human emotions- they do like when you handle them, but not exactly the fact that they like you, but more of the gecko liking the warmth of your hand.
They may however recognize you and think that you have food for them. I read somewhere that geckos will use certain 'abilities' that would normally attract predators, such as being extremely vocal, to attract attention from their human caretakers for food, etc.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
True, True. I completely agree with this statement. I even if I happen to find myself with multiple female leos, even though I can house them together, it's easier to keep them solitary just because it makes them easier to care for.
unless I'm hand feeding them, there's no way I can tell which gecko is eating how much.
also their...poop... for one, it's twice the poop in one tank. another thing- if you know geckos, you know that most of the time their poop reflects their health. If you don't know which gecko made the runny, unhealthy stuff... how are you going to know which one did it? how are you going to know which one to treat?
same goes for fat tails, but thing with them is they're less aggressive so people usually keep them together...

edit- and as for what you said about human emotions- they do like when you handle them, but not exactly the fact that they like you, but more of the gecko liking the warmth of your hand.
They may however recognize you and think that you have food for them. I read somewhere that geckos will use certain 'abilities' that would normally attract predators, such as being extremely vocal, to attract attention from their human caretakers for food, etc.
They make sounds? I'm part deaf so is this common?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store