Leopard Gecko

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
I don't think anyone has actually done any genetic testing in a lab to figure where the "amelanistic" gene sits for AFTs, so this reply will be partially based in speculation (I'm also not a geneticist). With that said, amelanism, leucism, and albinism --and to a lesser extant hypomelanism-- can be a bit confusing (I may even be a bit off, again, not a geneticist). First let's define them:
Amelanism
lack of melanin throughout the body due to a loss in tyrosinase function. In mammals, this results in white animals with red eyes, more on this below. In reptiles (including birds) and amphibians, this usually results in a yellowish or red animal with red eyes. For example "albino" pythons, "lutino" cockateils, &c. Alot of "albino" animals are actually amelanistic.
Albinism
A complete lack of pigment through the body. It also tends to cause vision problems, among other things. Since mammals only produce melanin, amelinistic mammals are albino. examples: Astyanax mexicanus (cave form), albino corydoras, &c.
Leucism
A reduced level of pigmentation, but not through the entire body. This usually leads to white animals with black eyes, or "isabelline" animals such as some horse breeds. For example leucistic lions have black eyes and lips, leucistic birds and alligators can have dark spots (not to be confused with piebaldism).
Hypomelanism
The partial lack of melanin. Examples would be hypo boas. I would speculate that "caramel albino" AFTs are likely hypomelanistic, as are ghost, but I have no proof. "Hypo" animals usually have black eyes.

Now, Amelanistic AFTs may be, well, amelanistic. They do appear to have black eyes (maybe it's just a deep red? I honestly haven't looked that hard), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were an extreme hypomelanistic. Same goes for the ghost gene and maybe caramel albinos; not to sure on that one.

So to answer your question (sorry for the tangent), amelanism is a separate thing, albeit similar, from albinism and leucism.

I completely agree.
JMG has run genetic tests on AFT's, I wasn't able to find the link on their website anymore though. Steve Sykes (geckos etc) talked about doing genetic testing on them a lot during the period I worked there, but never did to my knowledge.

From recollection, carmel and tangerine albinos are different genetic versions of amelanism while ghost is hypomelanistic.

Regardless, weird things happen when you start interbreeding them. I stay away and focus on the white out, oreo, Zulu and patternless morphs

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
JMG has run genetic tests on AFT's, I wasn't able to find the link on their website anymore though. Steve Sykes (geckos etc) talked about doing genetic testing on them a lot during the period I worked there, but never did to my knowledge.

From recollection, carmel and tangerine albinos are different genetic versions of amelanism while ghost is hypomelanistic.

Regardless, weird things happen when you start interbreeding them. I stay away and focus on the white out, oreo, Zulu and patternless morphs
Last time I tried to go on JMG's site, my computer popped up with malware warnings and kicked me off the site haha. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

I'll have to ask Steve next time I talk to him.

I never really bothered with breeding the morphs together, aside from a "new" (WC parents) patternless line I had going for a little bit... I was more interested in WC animals and abberant patterns. I did enjoy the patternless though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store