Leopard Gecko

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
They make sounds? I'm part deaf so is this common?
yes. a good variety.
my female leo makes a little squeaky noise like a baby duck when she wants something (either to climb up my hand or for me to give her food)
and my male screams for some reason, every, single, night. even though he's basically the leopard gecko equivalent of a tall lanky college student. (he's big, kinda on the slim side but muscular, he's loud, eats a lot, and stays up all day, all night.)
both geckos also 'talk' to eachother by clicking back and forth when it gets dark.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
I wouldn't recommend a 55 gallon. I'd say a 30 gallon at most for a small group of females.
as for food I recommend breeding your own... Dubia roaches or superworms are good.
Dubia roaches can't fly, and can't breed without tropical environments.
They also don't smell like crickets and have more nutrition.
crickets smell really bad, and mealworm shells (unlike superworms) ar hard to digest for the dragons.
Also superworms bite, so be careful...
Everything bites ;)

55 is definitely not "too big". For the most part, there's virtually no such thing in captivity (except maybe some smaller sp. like Tropiocolotes spp., Dario sp., &c.). Even then, it may be a case of redundant or "wasted" space, rather than "too much/too big".

Eublepharids have evolved to hunt numerous different species (including their own species, and scorpions) in the dark; They won't have trouble finding insects in 4 square feet of relatively flat space (compared to their natural habitat). You can always bowl feed them if you're that worried. This way they'll be conditioned to go to the same spot for food. Also, if the 30 gallon you're referring to is 36*18*12, you're actually using a bigger footprint (55gl--->(48x12)/144=4sqft VS 30gal--->(36*18)/144=4.5sqft). ;)

With that said, go with the bigger footprint.

+1 on breeding your own feeders. It's really not that hard, and saves you a TON of money. Mealworms and Dubia are super easy, followed by superworms.

As to mealworms being "harder to digest'', there have actually been a couple studies showing animals grew better on Tenebrio molitor. One was with Sceloporus sp., the other was Eublepharis sp.; see:

Rich, C. N., & Talent, L. G. (2008). The effects of prey species on food conversion efficiency and growth of an insectivorous lizard. Zoo Biology, 27(3), 181-187. doi:10.1002/zoo.20175

Gauthier, C., & Lesbarreres, D. (2010). GROWTH RATE VARIATION IN CAPTIVE SPECIES: THE CASE OF LEOPARD GECKOS, EUBLEPHARIS MACULARIUS. Herpetological Conservation and Biology, 5(3), 449-455.

U can keep a adult leopard gecko with a collared lizard in there if u get a uvb lamp(feed leopard at night and collared during day)
PLEASE don't do this. Aside from the husbandry, geographic and territorial aspects, there's also the chance of spreading novel pathogens, which is never good.

Collared lizards are agamas (like bearded dragons).
Crotaphytus sp.(Collard Lizards) are iguanidae (subfamily Crotaphytinae); not agamids. See here. The closest is sub order Iguania. This would be like saying Pseudocheilinus sp. are cichlids.

I recommend this combination because these species have a longstanding record of getting along together (these species have been known to get along for some time , and records of these species getting along goes back well over 45 years
Just because it has been done, does not mean it's a good idea. See previous replies and above as to why.

That's ok, what in your experience would be good tankmates for leopard geckos?
At most, other leopards. They are gregarious in the wild, but there they also have room to escape. If it's a relatively simple setup, keep it to one or two.

I keep breeding colonies personally.

edit- and as for what you said about human emotions- they do like when you handle them, but not exactly the fact that they like you, but more of the gecko liking the warmth of your hand.
They may however recognize you and think that you have food for them.
That doesn't mean they like being handled, it means they like heat, which they get in their tank. Nothing enjoys being handled (me included!), they tolerate it at best.

As an aside, while trying to find the links to the papers (I have the papers on a Harddrive, so I have to go searching for links everytime I need them), I also found this paper that concluded UVB is actually beneficial to Eublepharis sp.; not that it is a surprising conclusion. Take it as you will.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
thanks for your time, must have took awhile for such a long post...anyway...

Crotaphytus sp.(Collard Lizards) are iguanidae (subfamily Crotaphytinae); not agamids. See here. The closest is sub order Iguania. This would be like saying Pseudocheilinus sp. are cichlids.
For some reason I remembered collared lizards as agamas... thanks for the info! I'm always learning something new...

That doesn't mean they like being handled, it means they like heat, which they get in their tank. Nothing enjoys being handled (me included!), they tolerate it at best.
That's what I meant... It's not that they like you handling them, but the heat from your hand.

As to mealworms being "harder to digest'', there have actually been a couple studies showing animals grew better on Tenebrio molitor. One was with Sceloporus sp., the other was Eublepharis sp.; see:
I feed my leos mealworms all the time. It's pretty much their staple diet, but I still feed crickets from time to time. either way I always have at least a hundred worms at hand. I meant that mealworms are hard for bearded dragons to digest. Most sources say that.

+1 on breeding your own feeders. It's really not that hard, and saves you a TON of money. Mealworms and Dubia are super easy, followed by superworms.
I tried mealworms once... the beetles kept eating their babies and the remaining handful of offspring took nearly 2 months to get to an edible (and visible) size. I still had faith in it, but gave up when all the beetles ate eachother. (lol I have problems with my feeder insects cannibalizing)
As much as I'd love to have a dubia roach colony, (those would be much better than smelly crickets that just die and eat eachother) I can't convince my mom to get over the fact that they are roaches, and the fact that they are breeding in the house. She doesn't really like bugs breeding in the house, especially roaches.

also do you have any tips on training a baby fat tailed gecko to hunt better? not sure if that made sense but anyway I recently got a baby amelanistic fat tailed gecko. he's fine overall, but he's not the best with eating on his own. I feed him mealworms. he shows interest in the worms, strikes at them, but misses quite a bit. it seems like something might be wrong with his eye... not sure if it is at all but the way he looks at food... he only looks at it with his left eye. Not too troubling for me, I can deal with hand feeding him for the rest of his life if I have to. He seems to be getting better with hunting though, he's getting more accurate.

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
thanks for your time, must have took awhile for such a long post...anyway...
A lot longer than it should have haha. I probably reread the whole thing 10 times and made sure the links were accurate double that. I'll probably do the same with this one.

For some reason I remembered collared lizards as agamas... thanks for the info! I'm always learning something new...
No worries.

That's what I meant... It's not that they like you handling them, but the heat from your hand.
Cool. Just wanted to clarify that for others.

I feed my leos mealworms all the time. It's pretty much their staple diet, but I still feed crickets from time to time. either way I always have at least a hundred worms at hand. I meant that mealworms are hard for bearded dragons to digest. Most sources say that.
I should preface this by saying, this rant is not a jab at you at all, you just brought the topic (in yellow) up so I wanted to address it. So sorry for the following rant. :D

A LOT of the husbandry "info" on the most common species are largely dogma based on anectdotes, over-reactions, or severe anthropomorphizing (I should mention, there is a lot that is legitimate, but definitely not all of it). It seems to be a much bigger problem in the herp world than the fish world for some reason. For example, in the wild, bearded dragons eat more insects than is generally recommended in captivity (This would obviously vary seasonally, but a lot of sites recommend switching adults to mostly vegan diets as they get older*). There's also things like mealworms or supers eating through stomachs, causing impactions, &c.. It's largely BS or a result of improper husbandry, not because the lizards ate some larvae. Prolonged low temps, dehydration, infected injuries, &c., are usually what causes these problems. People often forget these lizards have evolved for millions of years to deal with the downsides of their food/environment.

Then there are just ridiculous ones (imo) like no sand, but cocofiber is okay, blah blah blah... Anyway, I digress.

Think of it this way; if an 8'' leopard gecko can down a super or mealworm, why wouldn't an 18'' agamid? It's not a perfect train of thought, but it's a fairly reasonable one.

I tried mealworms once... the beetles kept eating their babies and the remaining handful of offspring took nearly 2 months to get to an edible (and visible) size. I still had faith in it, but gave up when all the beetles ate eachother. (lol I have problems with my feeder insects cannibalizing)
As much as I'd love to have a dubia roach colony, (those would be much better than smelly crickets that just die and eat eachother) I can't convince my mom to get over the fact that they are roaches, and the fact that they are breeding in the house. She doesn't really like bugs breeding in the house, especially roaches.
How were they setup? I have my best production by separating the adults. When I got in orders of mealworms (10,000+ at a time), the larvae would go into bins with about 2'' of media --either oat bran or mazuri insect diet--. once they start pupating, I'd pull the pupae ( a pain in the @$$ time wise) and put them into a separate bin with about 0.5'' of media and egg flats like what crickets are shipped with. Then just feed each bin and sift the adult bin for worms when I start seeing them. They're also in my herp/fish room which is usually pretty warm from all the heat lamps for lizards.

When it comes to having large insect colonies in a house with a spouse/parents/room-mate that doesn't like them, I found it's better to use vague names for them like "tropical beetles" instead of "roaches" hahaha. Something about roaches pushes people away for some reason... Maybe it has something to do with this, I don't know.

Maybe see if she'd be okay if they were double binned? It's not necessary, and an inconvenience, but you could line the outside bin with Diatomaceous earth or some water with a bit of soap as a backup incase one happens to escape. If it helps, the only times I've ever had any feeder escape is when I put the eggcrate off to the side and not realize there was something still on it. Except crickets... those get everywhere. Man I hate crickets.

also do you have any tips on training a baby fat tailed gecko to hunt better? not sure if that made sense but anyway I recently got a baby amelanistic fat tailed gecko. he's fine overall, but he's not the best with eating on his own. I feed him mealworms. he shows interest in the worms, strikes at them, but misses quite a bit. it seems like something might be wrong with his eye... not sure if it is at all but the way he looks at food... he only looks at it with his left eye. Not too troubling for me, I can deal with hand feeding him for the rest of his life if I have to. He seems to be getting better with hunting though, he's getting more accurate.
I have never had a fattail with great aim; even wild caught ones are not great at it. I think it's partially that they don't like bright lighting, so when I pull the bin out to feed, the overhead lights hurt their eyes. They are also just slow over all, so they aren't great at chasing food. Dubia were usually what got them eating for me (not many species turn them away!!!). What really got them eating though were butterworms (Chilecomadia moorei). They are irradiated before leaving Chile, so breeding them is essentially impossible, but man do the geckos love them! Try those, as well as leaving the food in their tank over night (or turn off the lights/put a towel over the tank). I've also had them eat gel food (mazuri carnivorous reptile gel) but that is really hit-or-miss and maybe 25% of them took it; if that. Aside from that, just make sure its husbandry is right and you should have no problems. Captive bred AFTs are rarely a problem, even the ones with minor deformities.

Also, I realized my last reply may have come off a little rude; that was not my intention (nor in this one)...

*The recommended diet may have changed in the last couple years... I don't visit any bearded dragon forums. I wouldn't last long haha.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
As far as breeding insects crickets and mealworms are easy,tried breeding superworms once,it wasn't worth it with the diet and them eating each other,I even had a few chew through the plastic container! Wth!?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Also, I realized my last reply may have come off a little rude; that was not my intention (nor in this one)...
no problem, didn't sound rude at all. if anything mine might have...

it's partially that they don't like bright lighting, so when I pull the bin out to feed, the overhead lights hurt their eyes.
Ah, gotcha. he did seem to do better when I fed him with only one dim light on in my room. (at night.) he's in the dark all the time pretty much, all my blinds are always closed and his tank is on the lower compartment of a black/dark brown shelf. part of his poor eyesight might be because he's also kind of an albino... does amelanistic count as albino or does it fall under leucistic? some 'albino' or pseudo albino animals still have sensitive eyes even if the eyes are dark.

also if you want to see the little guy, I made a post on updates of him. his name is pluto. (I like naming my pets after celestial bodies.)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
all crepuscular geckos are affected by bright light.

AFT's suck at hunting
so that's why everyone on youtube feeds their AFT's in a different container with tweezers.
mine actually does pretty well if he's in the dark.

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
IDK why they feed in containers, mine have never had an issue.

The only reasons I could see is AFT's stress easier then leopards and are more prone to bullying or they might do it because AFT's suck at feeding and they are worried about impaction, but again, I have never had an issue and think impaction concerns are massively overblown.

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
As far as breeding insects crickets and mealworms are easy,tried breeding superworms once,it wasn't worth it with the diet and them eating each other,I even had a few chew through the plastic container! Wth!?

Gryllodes sigillatus
I found to be a bit easier than Acheta domestica (not to mention quieter, less smelly and less cannibalistic), but I've always found crickets to be too time consuming compared to the others... Maybe I'm doing it on too small of a scale? I'm not sure.

Was it a Styrofoam container? They'll definitely chew through that. If not, that's strange! I just use shallow Sterilite/Rubbermaid bins.

Ah, gotcha. he did seem to do better when I fed him with only one dim light on in my room. (at night.) he's in the dark all the time pretty much, all my blinds are always closed and his tank is on the lower compartment of a black/dark brown shelf. part of his poor eyesight might be because he's also kind of an albino... does amelanistic count as albino or does it fall under leucistic? some 'albino' or pseudo albino animals still have sensitive eyes even if the eyes are dark.
I don't think anyone has actually done any genetic testing in a lab to figure where the "amelanistic" gene sits for AFTs, so this reply will be partially based in speculation (I'm also not a geneticist). With that said, amelanism, leucism, and albinism --and to a lesser extant hypomelanism-- can be a bit confusing (I may even be a bit off, again, not a geneticist). First let's define them:
Amelanism
lack of melanin throughout the body due to a loss in tyrosinase function. In mammals, this results in white animals with red eyes, more on this below. In reptiles (including birds) and amphibians, this usually results in a yellowish or red animal with red eyes. For example "albino" pythons, "lutino" cockateils, &c. Alot of "albino" animals are actually amelanistic.
Albinism
A complete lack of pigment through the body. It also tends to cause vision problems, among other things. Since mammals only produce melanin, amelinistic mammals are albino. examples: Astyanax mexicanus (cave form), albino corydoras, &c.
Leucism
A reduced level of pigmentation, but not through the entire body. This usually leads to white animals with black eyes, or "isabelline" animals such as some horse breeds. For example leucistic lions have black eyes and lips, leucistic birds and alligators can have dark spots (not to be confused with piebaldism).
Hypomelanism
The partial lack of melanin. Examples would be hypo boas. I would speculate that "caramel albino" AFTs are likely hypomelanistic, as are ghost, but I have no proof. "Hypo" animals usually have black eyes.

Now, Amelanistic AFTs may be, well, amelanistic. They do appear to have black eyes (maybe it's just a deep red? I honestly haven't looked that hard), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were an extreme hypomelanistic. Same goes for the ghost gene and maybe caramel albinos; not to sure on that one.

So to answer your question (sorry for the tangent), amelanism is a separate thing, albeit similar, from albinism and leucism.

Hybridfish7 said:
so that's why everyone on youtube feeds their AFT's in a different container with tweezers.
mine actually does pretty well if he's in the dark.
I feed all my geckos in racks (Eublepharids mostly) using bowls. It's so much easier and stops the insects from annoying them. moving them to a separate container seems like an unneeded stressor to me.

IDK why they feed in containers, mine have never had an issue.

The only reasons I could see is AFT's stress easier then leopards and are more prone to bullying or they might do it because AFT's suck at feeding and they are worried about impaction, but again, I have never had an issue and think impaction concerns are massively overblown.
I completely agree.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store