New tank, what would you putin it??

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
For me personally I choose the substrate based on species. In general if the fish are colourful I use a dark back and substrate. This complements the fish in pictures and helps them maintain the focus. Naturally coloured substrates I use with biotopes and less colourful inhabitants or interestingly marked species.

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
IMG_0341[3456].JPG Um, really torn here, but edging towards the fine black sand but scared it will 'hide/camouflage the fish. Maybe the normal everyday mid- sand colour will be best, youtube moment. Here's the base and lights anyway, not much to look at, at the mo I know.

Reactions: FishBeast

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Well, its here, sand and roots in. Filled it only halfway today to allow the poly to start to take up any slight movement issues which there is bound to be. Will fill her up tomorrow and try the pump etc. In the filter section which I feel is a good compromise on this build I have managed to fit: 25 litres of Blagdon Professional Ceramic Biological Filter Media (note some there are 2 version of this, I like the ribbed version as per the picture) foam x around 10" deep and 5 litres of seachem matrix, this may well change. I put an air stone under the media section. Cant wait until its all up and running for real now. Got 11 java plants to add to the roots as soon as the water is ok. The stones are just holding the roots down until they absorb sufficient water to stay put!!!
IMG_0358[3949].JPG IMG_0359[3951].JPG IMG_0361[3955].JPG IMG_0360[3953].JPG

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Nice, I have a built-in sump tank on the way also, mine however, runs the back of the tank instead of one of the sides.
Could you post some pictures of the inside of your filtration area? Interested to see the layout in there!

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hi all first post, first is this in the correct section?? A bit of my background, kept marines, reef, trops, koi & Malawi's for the last 40 years, not an expert in any form but not a beginner either. I've just ordered a new 84 x 24x 26 high tank. The filter with be built into one end leaving around 74" open water. Flow rate will be between 3000-5000 litres/hour and powerheads which I have as required.

I've never had large south Americans and really would like to go that way, but as per the title, what would you keep if you had a free tank as above.

thanks darren
Hi if you went south American cichlids (centrals are a bit more aggressive) I would suggest if you can get your hands on them
Ornatum cichlids
Green terror
Chocolate cichlids
True parrot cichlids
And Severum
My tank is a bit of a mixture of S.A. AND .CA
X3 ornatum cichlid (3.5-4inches)
X4 gold Severum (2-3inches)
X1 green terror (5-6inches)
X2 festae cichlids (1-3inches)
X1 jack dempsey cichlid (3-3.5inches)
X2 salvini cichlids (1inch)
X1 Texas cichlid (2-3inch)

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Devastated, on cleaning the glass for the first time I noticed 2 x areas on the base glass under the silicon that seemed to be protruding ever so slightly. And you can guess what's about to come?? They pulled away in my fingers!!! It looks like the glass has taken a couple of bangs from the bottom during construction or transportation, if you look at the pics (which I'll post later) they are larger at the bottom. Anyway waiting for the company to come and collect it, I've told them its got to be full new base. I'm not accepting the: put a trim around it, it'll be ok!!! I always like to post the bad as well as the good, but why worry, just get the thing repaired and crack-on (pardon the pun here). And yes the cabinet is flat as one could get one and has a 1" poly base. You can see the damage is noting to do with the tank, its just the glass has been banged at some point. Smile on ;)

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
IMG_0362[4017].JPG IMG_0363[4019].JPG IMG_0364[4021].JPG IMG_0365[4023].JPG Here you go, 2 x pics of each of the damaged areas. NB that you can see the glass shard but the hole left can be seen ABOVE the poly.

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Up date, tank picked up today and FREE new bottom being fitted Monday. Having a double bottom fitted this time also. I've always had double bottoms before and just do not feel safe (as specially now) with a single. Does one ever stop learning at this game?? You try and save a few £££ and its just not worth it. They said they found some high spots in the glass??? Anyway I'm hoping to have it back next Friday. Just shows how good a company they are to pick it up and repair it for free, as you know many would say, its your base or your fault period. I always use them.

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
So its been close to the one year point since I first started this build which I really don't now consider to even be a large tank!! Its funny how ones thinking alters. Anyway, as per my last post the tank came back and all's been ok. But back to the thread what did/have I in the tanks and is the internal sump working? There was some debate on flowrates media etc. Well I first had to reduce the height of the 3rd baffle due to the fact I did indeed up the pump. I now have a 8000 litre/hr pump which improved the tank massively so yes the person (sorry forgot their name) said I would. A 3000 pump although the stats were ok the clarity of the water was not 100%. I did try a few different fish but even choosing them with great care lead to aggression when they came into breeding condition. This I found very frustrating, so you'll be able to see the fish I have finally ended up with. The tanks is peaceful as a tank could be yet there's always movement and something going on so to speak. The filter is easy to clean out and every 5-6 weeks I take all the media out and wash in tank water, takes around 30 mins max. Not an exciting tank but it works for us. Sorry about the reflection in some pics. IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0807.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store