New tank, what would you putin it??

Not another new tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Hi all first post, first is this in the correct section?? A bit of my background, kept marines, reef, trops, koi & Malawi's for the last 40 years, not an expert in any form but not a beginner either. I've just ordered a new 84 x 24x 26 high tank. The filter with be built into one end leaving around 74" open water. Flow rate will be between 3000-5000 litres/hour and powerheads which I have as required.

I've never had large south Americans and really would like to go that way, but as per the title, what would you keep if you had a free tank as above.

thanks darren

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
To give decent answers, we need to know more about the filtration. For large south American fish, this tank sounds like it will be woefully underfiltered.

With adequate filtration, you've got quite a lot of options.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Using American system your tank is 227 gallons (using 84" length) meaning your turnover rate is around 3.5-5.8 per hour (using 792-1320 gph for your filtration).

Thats not very good in any case and definitely not for larger fish.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Using American system your tank is 227 gallons (using 84" length) meaning your turnover rate is around 3.5-5.8 per hour (using 792-1320 gph for your filtration).

Thats not very good in any case and definitely not for larger fish.
That's just fine, he just needs enough bio media. With reasonable stocking the turnover is enough

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
That's just fine, he just needs enough bio media. With reasonable stocking the turnover is enough
I would disagree and say a tank should at least turn over 8-10 times an hour. But of course with "reasonable stocking" its enough, meaning not many fish of any large size.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would disagree and say a tank should at least turn over 8-10 times an hour. But of course with "reasonable stocking" its enough, meaning not many fish of any large size.
I disagree. With too high of a turnover the bacteria isn't exposed to the water for long enough so it doesn't process as well, a friend who breeds discus grows out in 50 gal cubes with 50-60 per tank using a single canister with 2.5 times turnover an hour. He packs that thing with ceramics after some mech and it works. 5-10ppm nitrate a day but no nitrites or ammonia even with heavy feeding. If there is enough media 2x turnover is enough, while more can be better I think that he'll be fine with a big bag o' ceramic

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I disagree. With too high of a turnover the bacteria isn't exposed to the water for long enough so it doesn't process as well, a friend who breeds discus grows out in 50 gal cubes with 50-60 per tank using a single canister with 2.5 times turnover an hour. He packs that thing with ceramics after some mech and it works. 5-10ppm nitrate a day but no nitrites or ammonia even with heavy feeding. If there is enough media 2x turnover is enough, while more can be better I think that he'll be fine with a big bag o' ceramic
Ahh that makes sense! I guess there is probably a Goldilocks spot, not too low not too high.

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ahh that makes sense! I guess there is probably a Goldilocks spot, not too low not too high.
Agreed, it's cheaper on commercial scale to get more media than more pumps ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store