75 gallon planted tank journal.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Cows tend to not like hard to chew food :).

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I just realized it'll take a couple days at least for the driftwood to sink...... Ugh, I knew I was forgetting something. Oh well..... I guess I'll either get some rocks or something and hold the driftwood down or put the Anubis nana in my 29 while I wait for the driftwood to sink.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I just realized it'll take a couple days at least for the driftwood to sink...... Ugh, I knew I was forgetting something. Oh well..... I guess I'll either get some rocks or something and hold the driftwood down or put the Anubis nana in my 29 while I wait for the driftwood to sink.
Is it driftwood or dead wood? Used to have a piece of driftwood in a pond that floated for at least 6-7 years before sinking

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Got it from fort Benning down on a little river with a sandy bank. All of the pieces that I collected were baking in the sun on the sand. They were not close enough that they could have fallen from the trees and just fell and started drying. No, these had to have been washed onto shore by the river.
By the way, there was this MASSIVE tree stump on the sand. It was as tall as me and the root system was about as wide as I am tall. I'm 5'5" for reference. I'm going back next weekend to get some of the roots and maybe more driftwood.

As for it sinking, I've had pieces that wouldn't sink for weeks unless I weighed them down with rocks in which case they sunk within a few days. If anything I can fill my bathtub with water and put a couple rocks over them.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I made a rough draft of my plans for my teacher to see and then I made this final draft to make it really neat and presentable and more understandable. I have really bad hand writing so I took about 5 minutes doing this. At the end I put my info on this site and I learned that I will probably be able to use this journal of my 75 as my senior project next year so yay. Anyway, this is my 75 gallon laid out in 7 different boxes explaining the position of each of the 7 different plants. The Anubis nana driftwood wall is going to be infront of the lucky bamboo. The pothos will be draping off the side of the tank while the pyrus will be growing up the sides of the tank. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that may have resulted from the different boxes sharing the same space. I forgot to mention that the little boxes are the hang on back filters incase anyone didn't realize it.

Turns out the silver dollars did infact taste test the Anubis nana. Ate half of one leaf and nibbled the side of two others, I believe this is because I hadn't fed them yet and had fasted them the day before. It didn't help that they had to eat the lettuce from the top of the tank while the Anubis nana was resting at the bottom. Once I gave them a good feeding and forked the lettuce onto the bottom of the tank they left it alone and have done so throughout the night.
My dad is bringing home his big pathos he grew at work for several years for me to use since it was taking over his desk.
I believe that's all, fishhead0103666 out.20180924_110248.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
9014AEC3-8599-4967-A25C-5AB3FA1E4ABD.jpeg Well sorry for the wait, things are going slow as I have multiple projects going on at once. Got a new phone that takes better pictures so I figured I might as well update this thread.
The pothos is just over 7 feet long so it’s quite large, almost four times as big as I was expecting it to be. A few pieces broke off so I put them in my other tank :). Anyway what do y’all think?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If the plants are intended to help with nitrate removal keep in mind some parts of the plant will need to be harvested to encourage new growth.
New growth equals more nitrates removed. Might not be an issue with plants outside the tank.
Tank looks good.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thank you ski, and yes they are intended to help others nitrites.
I’m not sure as to why but I’ve noticed the prices for the lucky bamboo sizes I want have went up so I may wait a little while before getting more.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
IMG_1553.JPG
Thank you ski, and yes they are intended to help others nitrites.
I’m not sure as to why but I’ve noticed the prices for the lucky bamboo sizes I want have went up so I may wait a little while before getting more.
I notice the pothos looks scraggly/scrawny looking, I would aim more light at it with the use of some mirrors, I would also add some fish safe ferts, here's a random pic of my outdoor pothos

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yeah it was in my bathtub for about two weeks before I finally put it in the tank, gonna either start opening the curtains or get a grow light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store