Found Mekong Giant Catfish

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Yes, they are real. Farm at least. The growth rate itself shows it is what it is. Here's another link to a similar thread, I take it you don't read all of the discussion here.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...might-suprise-you.593056/page-10#post-7923431
Oh wow, very fascinating. Yes I’m new here, so I didn’t notice it. Just read the whole thread and I’m surprised how much difficulty there is in verifying it. I hope you keep us updated on their growth.

Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but what are you going to store them in when they are older?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Oh wow, very fascinating. Yes I’m new here, so I didn’t notice it. Just read the whole thread and I’m surprised how much difficulty there is in verifying it. I hope you keep us updated on their growth.

Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but what are you going to store them in when they are older?
They are currently in 720g, will move em when they reached 2-2.5'. I have 7500g pond that currently not in used. If they get to big, I'm thinking wanna build a windowed pond, my plan for the future. Plus, someone already reserved 5 mekongs for his pond, so that leaves me 2 mekongs left.

Reactions: coolcomfort

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
They are currently in 720g, will move em when they reached 2-2.5'. I have 7500g pond that currently not in used. If they get to big, I'm thinking wanna build a windowed pond, my plan for the future. Plus, someone already reserved 5 mekongs for his pond, so that leaves me 2 mekongs left.
Awesome. I hope everything works out. Very exciting to see someone has a real MGC in the community. Please keep us updated with pics!

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Final looks on the Mekongs, no doubt these are genuine. Sold the last 3 yesterday, surely will not searching for this species again. Way skittish than any other Pangasius sp, not suitable for aquarium. 2' fish at least need 15x8 tank, they dart like crazy when spooked. Last measured, 17-18" & 15" on the smaller guy.

IMG_20181216_143815.jpg IMG_20181216_143832.jpg

End of update.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
AFAIK, MGC are federally prohibited in the US regardless of their origin, which is why importers sometimes have problems at the border with other similar-looking Pangasiidae, e.g., paroon shark catfish.

Just as thefredpit says, they, like Asian arowana, can be imported and possessed only with a permit for the importation and a permit for possession, which are given on a case by case basis only to institutions engaged in their research or education / public exhibition. The permits are not granted for use as a personal pet or other personal purposes.

Reactions: GiantFishKeeper101

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Great thread! Awesome fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store