Found Mekong Giant Catfish

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
If you were willing to, next time more and closer shots would be even more helpful, I think. I realize these photos may not be easy to take because of the lighting and glare / reflection.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter .. as promised...best shots I can take

Pics of other fishes I will set up a river safari thread

20180908_150301.jpg 20180908_150210.jpg 20180908_150204.jpg 20180908_150148.jpg 20180908_150147.jpg 20180908_150111.jpg 20180908_150037.jpg 20180908_145934.jpg 20180908_145904.jpg 20180908_145903.jpg 20180908_145857.jpg 20180908_145849.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so very, very much! Great job, brother!

Just off the top of my head, I think I see IDS in there too and at least one paroon but the rest are the alleged MGC, right? With the eye sitting notably lower than that in IDS?

See they hybridize MGC with other Pangasidae at the food fish farms and hence we are never sure what exactly we are looking at.

Reactions: Matteus

Winterose

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ontario, Canada
G Galantspeedz Super awesome photos! thanks for taking them! I'm really getting into these shark cats haha :)
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 I'm very interested in getting a few of these hybrids, any chance you could get me connected to a supplier?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thank you so very, very much! Great job, brother!

Just off the top of my head, I think I see IDS in there too and at least one paroon but the rest are the alleged MGC, right? With the eye sitting notably lower than that in IDS?

See they hybridize MGC with other Pangasidae at the food fish farms and hence we are never sure what exactly we are looking at.

the show tank was for GMC thus they only mentioned GMC in display board though there are a few other species

what i do noticed though is at least 2 variants fo GMC, 1 a lighter color and 1 a darker color

• Love

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 I'm very interested in getting a few of these hybrids, any chance you could get me connected to a supplier?
I'm not from US, the suppliers are from Thailand. You can practically search any facebook farms or lfs there that sell GMC, but I have no idea what their minimum order exports are, so you have to find out yourself.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
the show tank was for GMC thus they only mentioned GMC in display board though there are a few other species

what i do noticed though is at least 2 variants fo GMC, 1 a lighter color and 1 a darker color
I think initially I'd not view them as the same species. The lighter colored ones have a notably higher arching backbone and a bit different fin shape. I'd think they are not MGC. The darker ones you feature the most in your photos must be the MGC.

Have you made the thread on your Safari trip? I'd appreciate a link.

GMC is a very common abbreviation for General Motors Corp, which is why it appears most of us opted to abbreviate MGC Mekong Giant Catfish to avoid any confusion.

G Galantspeedz Super awesome photos! thanks for taking them! I'm really getting into these shark cats haha :)
It'd be very nice if you attempted this. Very, very interesting (to learn what will happen at your expense haha...). Just beware that the posts of our peers from Thailand, China, Korea, and other eastern Asian cointries dealing with the MGC search on line and at local LFSs indicate that you might get any Pangasiidae under the sun, genuine or man-made, but not MGC. You will need to make 100% sure what fish they will be exporting to you or your importer and that this fish is most likely MGC.

Winterose

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ontario, Canada
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 Ahh I see, thank you for the guidance!
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Haha, I definitely wouldn't mind. Now I just need to find myself a supplier. Note taken, thank you for the advice Viktor

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
I have had some experience with the Pla Buk in the past....

Got them from my Thai supplier who caters to the Japan market. 3 batches imported in total. First batch turned out to be bocourti. The last two were MGC. The bocourti grew fast to a meter long... the MGC, real slow.

Feeding heavily did not help at all.

I ended up releasing them to a green water pond hoping for better results, but they were still falling way behind the growth rate of the bocourti or sanitswongsei in the same pond.

The pond was heavily stocked but food was plentiful.

The results of the experiment is great information... I guess space is what counts. And maybe very light stocking level.

Those very dark colored MGC is River Safari were imported Big. You should see the Sanitswongsei in that tank, very impressive.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I think initially I'd not view them as the same species. The lighter colored ones have a notably higher arching backbone and a bit different fin shape. I'd think they are not MGC. The darker ones you feature the most in your photos must be the MGC.

Have you made the thread on your Safari trip? I'd appreciate a link.

GMC is a very common abbreviation for General Motors Corp, which is why it appears most of us opted to abbreviate MGC Mekong Giant Catfish to avoid any confusion.

It'd be very nice if you attempted this. Very, very interesting (to learn what will happen at your expense haha...). Just beware that the posts of our peers from Thailand, China, Korea, and other eastern Asian cointries dealing with the MGC search on line and at local LFSs indicate that you might get any Pangasiidae under the sun, genuine or man-made, but not MGC. You will need to make 100% sure what fish they will be exporting to you or your importer and that this fish is most likely MGC.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/river-safari-singapore-pics-intensive.708048/

Here is the link

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store