Found Mekong Giant Catfish

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
If you were willing to, next time more and closer shots would be even more helpful, I think. I realize these photos may not be easy to take because of the lighting and glare / reflection.
No problem... I will try next time I go.... I just feel a full tank shot looks grander lol

Reactions: Matteus

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
To avoid glare I put my lense up against the glass lol

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
I really don't think there are any WC fry out there in the market. they're becoming extremely rare in the wild.
And as for the growth rate, it may be due to me feeding them a carnivorous diet. MGC's are herbivorous by nature and require tons of plankton and other plant based matter to survive. Feeding them Hikari Carnivore might therefore prohibit growth.
Another factor to consider is that the cats were kept in a controlled environment where there was limited space and food. If my fish were set in the wild, they too might have reached this legendary 300kg mass.
Although their growth was slow for me, this definition of slow is when considering that the fish at hand is a freagin Mekong Giant Catfish. I honestly thought it was going to grow like kelp. The guy who smuggled them in also thought the same. I guess there is much to figure out about the species.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
bait used was ground rice husk.... maybe that is their staple food to pump the GMC up

below are the world records

http://www.extremescience.com/biggest-freshwater-fish.htm

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2...fish-approved-as-all-tackle-world-record.html
If you want to get them growing faster, feed two smaller meals daily, a mix of bread,earthworms,fish fillets and silversides and spirulina powder ground together and mixed with gelatin may help, this can get messy tho

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Long overdue update, had tested them in 3 different spaces:

1. Packed 10x5x2 pond (less feed)
2. Packed 4x2x2 tank (frequent feed)
3. Spacious 15x10x5 pond (less feed)

Number 1, the giants aren't growing well. They eat less too, most stuck at 12". Number 2, hasn't had much growth at all, only 13"-13.5" even with frequent feed. Number 3, was cleaning the pond had to relocate the fishes, pull this guy out. 15" currently. He put 10" in nearly 5 months. I can see why in 6 years this fish can grow to 150-200kg. Conclusion, space are more important than feeding frequency.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Long overdue update, had tested them in 3 different spaces:

1. Packed 10x5x2 pond (less feed)
2. Packed 4x2x2 tank (frequent feed)
3. Spacious 15x10x5 pond (less feed)

Number 1, the giants aren't growing well. They eat less too, most stuck at 12". Number 2, hasn't had much growth at all, only 13"-13.5" even with frequent feed. Number 3, was cleaning the pond had to relocate the fishes, pull this guy out. 15" currently. He put 10" in nearly 5 months. I can see why in 6 years this fish can grow to 150-200kg. Conclusion, space are more important than feeding frequency.

View attachment 1331857 View attachment 1331858
He looks beautiful! Thanks for posting the results of your experiment!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store