Found Mekong Giant Catfish

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can't speak on their identification as I am horrible at telling young pang species apart except, for parroons.When I see a tankful of young iridescent sharks I often wonder if they might be something else that was mistakenly shipped in.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I hope to be wrong but at the moment they look like IDS to me. Keep up the great work though! I mean with taking care of the fish and updates. Thanks, bro.
+1 looking forward to them growing hopefully we're wrong

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Oops, just read the whole thread, quite misunderstood there. So what ichthusfish have are similar to mine, farm bred MGC or possibly a hybrid look alike. It's amazing to see that they change entirely into the mekong we know. Even the stripes are gone. Can't wait mine to be like that.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Yours look very similar to mine other than a few slight differences. The 3 I used to own were farm raised. I researched and asked many suppliers if they were in fact hybrids, but none of them could answer. The ones that were in my care were smuggled in If I remember correctly.
The one thing which always kept me skeptical was their growth rate. According to myth, Mekongs are suppose to have an extremely fast growth rate. When I had the opportunity about the subject to a person who worked at the Seoul Coex Aquarium, he said that the mekong fries which were in the aquarium had slow growth rates also. Still havnt got to the bottom of this mystery but I hope your specimens can help out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store