Found Mekong Giant Catfish

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Definitely looks different!
See the position of the eye. Even when juvenile, their eyes still below the level of their mouth. Plus, its aesthetic are the same with fishing pond GMC, probably a hybrid, or maybe not but the traits are there.

Bigger eyes, square mouths, bulky shoulder, different tail. It's the same traits with other supplier that truly sells this GMC but lighter color. This one is darker.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great info and promising!

A lot of us will be watching this thread like hawks.

Please keep telling us everything.

Reactions: GiantFishKeeper101

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
They look like the real deal or a mostly Mekong hybrid if not, eye location and dorsal fin significantly different than anything I've seen available. I assume if they are in fact farm raised they are immune to CITES limitations on importation?

Any further detail on where they're coming from and size/price available?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
They look like the real deal or a mostly Mekong hybrid if not, eye location and dorsal fin significantly different than anything I've seen available. I assume if they are in fact farm raised they are immune to CITES limitations on importation?

I would think there would still be limitations on importation since asian arowana are farm raised yet still banned

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017

IDK whether this is hybrid or not but I would assume that it has similar features with the GMC exotic fishing pond. They do grow huge although farm raised. Going to order them this friday, probably arrived monday, more pics will be available then.

Yes, they are immune to CITES but only the hybrid. Hybrid between P. hypophthalmus. I've read somewhere, don't remember what site. But Idk how import export works in US. But there's always a smuggle.

Where they're from? Idk, probably from some private breeder. Size about 5-6 inches. Price around 20usd each.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store