Aurea the golden/flash tiger catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout & color experiment

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've finally found a juruense that I like, and upon which I am going to attempt my color-up experiment, based on water quality and dietary supplementation.

Here's the fish in question-

20200416_091133.jpg

As you can probably tell, that's a screencap from a low resolution video. More and better pictures to follow when it gets here.

Now it's no secret that since moving to Florida, I can't keep these guys alive. My theory is that this is due to my liquid rock well water out of the Floridan Aquifer, which is quite literally off of the charts In hardness. That's the only meaningful difference between them dying for me now and my prior success in Missouri keeping them for years on treated city water. Recognizing this, I have purchased a 550 gallon tank for the long term care of a juruense, and I've committed to having a ro/di drip on that tank to maintain flawless water quality.

Obviously, a 550 is impractical for a 4" catfish. For the time being, it will be housed in a 30 gallon grow out tank, filtered by an ac110 (they like flow after all) and media from the pond of my goonch catfish, 3D the Defiler, the Lord of Death. I am unfortunately still quite a way away from having the 550 running, as I want to both scape it first and because I've yet to figure out how (or really even try) to get this 1000 pound monstrosity onto the stand.

But that's down the road a ways still.

For the time being, I'm going to focus first on making sure the new juruense is stable, then on getting it to eat. I'm looking forward to routinely updating this thread. Juruense are a pet project of mine, and I've been looking forward to attempting this for years.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thank you!

Here's the only other pic I have of him so far:

Screenshot_20200415-083446_QuickPic.jpg

Also a screen grab from a low res video.

I'm hoping it doesn't die or something between now and when he's shipped! I'm expecting him early next week.

I am irrationally excited to be able to move forward with this project. I have literally had my entire hobby on hold waiting to try to find this fish.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
He's in his growout!

He's not doing so hot. He's obviously quite stressed. He's gasping hard and occasionally doing circles. He seems to be settling down however.

I'm a ball of nerves. This is the exact fish I've been looking for for YEARS. He's got a gorgeous oddball pattern, and he's even got a tiny bit of yellow started already.

20200417_174843.jpg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
He's in his growout!

He's not doing so hot. He's obviously quite stressed. He's gasping hard and occasionally doing circles. He seems to be settling down however.

I'm a ball of nerves. This is the exact fish I've been looking for for YEARS. He's got a gorgeous oddball pattern, and he's even got a tiny bit of yellow started already.

View attachment 1413745
Nice looking cat! Hope it all works out for you two!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store