Aurea the golden/flash tiger catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout & color experiment

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Congrats on your new cat, Rob. For the color experiment, wouldn't it make more sense to grow the fish out to maturity, then supplement? If you begin supplementing now, how will you determine what took place was via genes, or via diet?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Added a flat rock to the tank last night after taking pics to help mitigate the bounceback issue I was having with the flash. This gives MUCH better results out of the camera. Note if you can how the little splash of gold that all juruense seem to have as tiny imports now seems to be spreading down its lateral line, and is now slightly past the end of the insertion of the dorsal fin.

20200425b.png

He looks like a "king" to me.
He sure does! I'm leaning towards a Targaryen name from Game of Thrones, but I've not really decided on one yet.

A bit of an off beat one but call him "Lambda", the Greek letter L which is an upside down Y .
he has his name printed on the side of him!

could of course call him "Radar" cos with that great patterning it's the only way he can be seen.
Oh that's clever! I like that!

Look at that chubby belly! Wonder why it's cute on babies but not adults.....hmmm?
As an adult with a belly, I feel personally attacked ? ? ?

Congrats on your new cat, Rob. For the color experiment, wouldn't it make more sense to grow the fish out to maturity, then supplement? If you begin supplementing now, how will you determine what took place was via genes, or via diet?
I'm forced to admit that this isn't 100% scientific, as I'm not running a control tank next to him. The reason I decided not to do that is due to the fact that I really only want one juruense adult, and I don't feel I'd be making an ethical decision to have a fish that I know I'm not going to keep and care for.

As to the supplementation itself. In the wild, these guys would be affected by the presence of the materials I'm supplementing from birth, so I feel that to get an accurate picture of what a supplemented adult would produce, I must supplement from an early age. If I don't supplement from day one, I'm not really mimicking the conditions that make them turn yellow. Without the control specimen however, I know my argument can be picked apart, especially if my results aren't earth shattering. In that regard, I have chosen to treat the thousands and thousands of juruense that come through our hobby that never develop that vivid gold as my control for this experiment.

Please feel free to DM me over this, Neil. I'd love to bounce a few of the ideas I'm testing off of you.

Mista Whiskas
LOL he certainly lives up to it!

Badass rob. Can't wait to see this guy all grown up :headbang2
Thank you! I can't wait either :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store