1,000 European Super Nightcrawlers

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
So I ordered 2 lbs of European Nightcrawler Earthworms last month from Uncle Jim's to feed all my fish.
I have some in a 5 gallon bucket and some in a habitat V worm bin.
I been keeping them in my room and been using Uncle Jim's worm food & bedding.
Things have been going great and all my fish are stoked.
Anyone else raise earthworms I could use some tips on making this successful, I have been noticing tiny bugs here and there and might have to abort the whole mission if that suddenly gets worse since my garage is to hot and refrigerator is to cold so the house is my only option.
Funniest thing to me is I cut one in half for my Gulper and the next day that half worm was still alive in the tank, how is that even possible...
Thanks in advance mfk for any advice of course!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Worms are a brilliant accompaniment to our fishes diet, whether chopped up or fed whole (to larger fish). I can never get my head round the fact though that people buy them! Fish food is expensive enough as it is without buying more food that you can get for free, for little effort.

I have a heap at the bottom of my garden. Household scrap veg, potato peelings, garden waste etc etc all get thrown on. Worms are thriving in there and whenever I want to treat my fish I just dig for two minutes and i've got plenty. As long as I keep throwing waste on and keep it moist, especially at summer, I will have a never ending supply of quality food...but more importantly, it's free!

Reactions: amazontank

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you cut a worm in half it becomes two separate worms.
This is not entirely accurate.
It really depends on where the worm was cut in two. If it’s cut behind the thicker part of the body it will regrow it’s tail but the tail will not regrow a head.

Either way worms are great food. I feed night crawlers during the spring and summer months from the yard and compost pile. I have tried keeping some inside to be able to feed year round but I could never get the to multiply.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have tried in the past but never been that successful. The time I usually feed them to my fish, is when I have some left over from fishing, or I just dig them up, as Esoxlucius express they thrive around here and are easy to find.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
These red mites seem to be getting worse I might end up giving some away at my next aquarium auction meet up.
I am trying to feed and water less along with keeping the lids off to air out the bin.
Anyone know of these mites are dangerous to dogs?
Other than that I found out they aren't a big deal it's just inside my house it's becoming an issue and there is no other place to put them...

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
in spring/summer/early fall I keep my worms outside and throw leftover veg/fruit scraps in their container and during the cold months I bring them inside and use a large storage bin with a lid I drilled holes in. During these cold months when the worms are inside I mix some flukers high calcium cricket diet powder in the soil and they seem to get bigger when they are on cricket diet and my oscars love them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store