1" Bulkhead for 2" wall

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Morning fellow MFKers,

I am in the planning stages of upgrading my tank here in the next 2 years (I know a ways out but I want it done better than my last build). The tank is an "L" shape and there will be a seam in the plywood on the bottom. My thoughts/current plan is to utilize the true 1" plywood I did on my other build and double stack it, staggering the seams. Most 1" bulkheads, which I plan on using for the return won't fit this 2" wall. So, my question is, what have others done in this situation? I want the plumbing to come in from the bottom so it is flush against the wall. Would it be safe to do 3/4" plywood on the bottom so it's 1.5" thick as I have found some bulkhead fittings for 2.08" wall that would work. Just curious what others have done and if I'm going overkill on my initial design.

Thanks,

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What are you planning to sit your tank on, an home made stand or have you got other plans? The answer to your question, as I see it, depends very much on how, or if, you are supporting the bottom.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
What are you planning to sit your tank on, an home made stand or have you got other plans? The answer to your question, as I see it, depends very much on how, or if, you are supporting the bottom.
The stand is going to be box tubing and a plywood layer across the metal frame. I saw someone's build the other day, 1100G stand and then mentioned it had 2x2x1/4" tubing, was going to go with that probably. I do intend to support the bottom with the stand though, yes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The stand is going to be box tubing and a plywood layer across the metal frame. I saw someone's build the other day, 1100G stand and then mentioned it had 2x2x1/4" tubing, was going to go with that probably. I do intend to support the bottom with the stand though, yes.
Well if the base of your tank is already adequately supported with ply from the top of your stand then i'd say the base of your tank dosen't have to be anywhere near 2". If, however, you still want your 2" base just for overkill and peace of mind you can still do that as well. You can still double up your 1" as planned but where your bulkhead goes just cut an hole in one of the sheets so in effect all your base will be 2" except the place where your bulkhead is which would be 1". Of course you'd have to cut an hole in the top ply of your stand as well. So, if your using 1" ply throughout your build in effect you'd have a 3" layer of ply supporting the water but only a small 1" section where your bulkhead would be.

Is your tank going to sit on the outer metal perimeter of your stand only or are you going to have metal supporting spans welded across to support the ply too? Over time, due to the immense weight, unsupported ply, even thick stuff, could warp.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well if the base of your tank is already adequately supported with ply from the top of your stand then i'd say the base of your tank dosen't have to be anywhere near 2". If, however, you still want your 2" base just for overkill and peace of mind you can still do that as well. You can still double up your 1" as planned but where your bulkhead goes just cut an hole in one of the sheets so in effect all your base will be 2" except the place where your bulkhead is which would be 1". Of course you'd have to cut an hole in the top ply of your stand as well. So, if your using 1" ply throughout your build in effect you'd have a 3" layer of ply supporting the water but only a small 1" section where your bulkhead would be.

Is your tank going to sit on the outer metal perimeter of your stand only or are you going to have metal supporting spans welded across to support the ply too? Over time, due to the immense weight, unsupported ply, even thick stuff, could warp.

Will definitely have cross bracing supports. I guess it's work to cut out an upsized hole where the bulkheads go. Just will have to make sure there is plenty of space to get the nut on the bottom side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store