MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I fed bloodworms again tonight and it ate a few, but not as much as last night. I’m thinking I might get some PraziPro and MetroPlex and go for a 7-10 day treatment. Either that, or I might just grab some more General Cure and use it. I just think the PraziPro and MetroPlex will be cheaper.

Reactions: cigars

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I did get PraziPro and MetroPlex, and Focus, so that I could treat these guys, mainly the little one. I dosed the tank last night with both, and then did a full water change tonight and redosed. I then mixed a scoop of Metro with a tiny bit of Focus and frozen bloodworms. I saw each of the bass eat a little bit of them, so hopefully they will get a good treatment and become healthy.

I will continue to add the Metro and Focus to their food, and will redose the PraziPro every three days for the next week.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Did you ever treat this fish for nematodes? General cure won't do much against nematodes. You will need levamisole for this particular fish since I doubt it will eat fenbendazole treated food.

2ppm levamisole for 24 hours (no lights), and repeat 2 more times every 2-3 weeks.

https://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1
If the metro and prazi don't yeild a positive result, definitely try either levamisole or flubendazole in the water. Neither metro, nor prazi treat nematodes and they're the most common issue in aquarium fish.....Flubendazole is effective against tapeworms(what prazi treats), round worms(nematodes) and hexamita(what metro treats), so it would always be my first choice of med...., also because it is a lot safer/easier on the fish than levamisole as well, or any of the other meds you're currently trying.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If the metro and prazi don't yeild a positive result, definitely try either levamisole or flubendazole in the water. Neither metro, nor prazi treat nematodes and they're the most common issue in aquarium fish.....Flubendazole is effective against tapeworms(what prazi treats), round worms(nematodes) and hexamita(what metro treats), so it would always be my first choice of med...., also because it is a lot safer/easier on the fish than levamisole as well, or any of the other meds you're currently trying.
Well, that definitely sounds like a good idea. I will try to get some of that if this doesn’t work out.

Reactions: Coryloach

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
... also because it is a lot safer/easier on the fish than levamisole as well....
I have seen dosing of up to 13ppm using levamisole and more than 24 hour dosing time. I suspect that is the reason why many fish are having a hard time with it. People navigate have propagated this incorrect dosage since 1996.

I have used the correct, veterinary approved dosage on many fish like kelberi bass, and even a scaleless fish like a lungfish, and none of them have lost color, and continue to feed with no issues.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
An update: The little one just appears to not want to eat. At this point, not sure if it’s being picky or if it is truly sick. It swims around well, and even enjoys swimming in the current, but it just won’t eat. So far, I’ve tried three types of pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen tilapia and live red wigglers. It has eaten a few red wigglers in the past month, but far from every feeding like the others. It has also eaten a few frozen bloodworms, but very little. It will sometimes grab the pellets, but immediately spits them out. I think I will try frozen mysis shrimp tonight and see if it likes that at all.

I might just have to start feeding the other two and get them grown enough to go to my big tank, along with the endli, and then see if this little one will do any better by itself.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The mysis shrimp were a decent hit tonight. I mixed the meds in with them again tonight, and all of the bass went at them a bit, including the small one. However, none of the bass ate that much before they started just spitting the shrimp right back out. I’m sure that they each ate enough to get a decent bit of medication. I’ll keep you guys posted on how everything progresses.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
4FD4C04B-9CF5-4BF2-8F45-603B1AA5FFAB.jpeg 5E6CE8B9-A58A-4705-8B04-778D3B302BB2.jpeg 33678161-596A-40A2-B17D-4EA0D7F06F2E.jpeg 26CA6EC3-DD32-4746-B4B7-456CB5A8C7A0.jpeg

Here are some pictures from tonight’s feeding. It was a good night. The little bass grabbed a red wiggler right away. This is the first significant food it’s had in a few weeks.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I would definitely treat for nematodes......symptoms of capillaria for example:

Symptoms common to this particular nematode include a bulge in the lower abdomen near the vent, or Capillari worms protruding from the anus.

not to be confused with Camallanus....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store