10 psi on a 55 gallon plastic drum.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I am thinking of putting a 55 gallon drum in my basement, In a closed loop. Basic the aquarium overflow will empty into the drum. A return line will enter the sump, mounted 30" below the aquarium.
The 55 gallon drum will be closed off from the aquarium for water changes. Pumped dry to water a garden, then filled back up. To conduct a 55 gallon water change on a 130 gallon system.
Or it could be used to drain 55 gallons from a 75 gallon sysrem with two barrels. One full of dechlorineated water. Ready to refill the aquarium.
Any thoughts on this.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Sounds like an interesting idea if I'm following your plan. During normal operation the water flows from the aquarium to the drum, then to the sump and back to the tank. During water change time you bypass the drum so it can be pumped out to the garden and refilled. Then the loop is returned to the drum. 55 gallon water change without shutting down any equipment in the actual tank or sump. Did I get that right?

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Sounds like a good idea to me. Then you can treat your new water in the drum prior to putting it in the tank. Also nearly doubles the water volume in your system between the sump and the drum.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The only problems I can think of is accumulated heavy solids, in the bottom, of the drum. Then a custom drum plug built to prevent flow restrictions with 3/4" pipe size.

The more I ponder it the better it seams. Like a great idea.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The accumulation of solids can be fixed by pulling the water out through a stand pipe. Built into the drums plug.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Uniseal or bulkhead fittings on strings. Ways to plumb a 55 gallon drum. With out cutting the top off.

HEMP111

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2015
Greenville SC area
That's a great idea! I wish i had a basement to do something like this. I would put it up on a frame or a couple of blocks and put the drain out the bottom, that way all of the solids in the drum get flushed out and you can rinse if needed before refilling.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Thanks, I have two drums, one for each tank.
Drilled both and installed 1" bulkheads, near the bottom.
Already have sump pump in basement to irrigate with, probably gravity fed into sewer during winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store