100 micron vs 50 micron filter media

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Are those machine washable?
I’m going to guess they are not. So they may not work for everyone.
They work well for me.
I just hang them over a fence outside and blast them with a hose. They come pretty clean. Not white like new but you can see the nasty water that runs out of them clear up when they are clean

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
What I like about the AquaMaxx pads is that they are machine washable, I run about 3500 GPH through the pond filter, so I used to change the batting about once a week, but the AquaMaxx pads will be cheaper in the long run since I can machine wash and reuse them.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
These may be washable. I just haven’t ever tried to wash them in a machine.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
It says this on the AquaMaxx page:
Crafted with durable, reusable and machine-washable synthetic fibers, AquaMaxx filter pads effectively trap debris and small particles to bring your water to a new level of clarity.
Without knowing exactly which fibers each are made from, I don't think it will be possible to determine whether they are truly the same or not.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Unfortunately, the 100 micron filter media is too fine. It clogs up after about a day of use. Is there any similar reusable filter media, but that's less fine than the 100 micron stuff? Maybe something similar in fineness to the polyester batting, but that's reusable and machine washable?

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I have a moving bed pond filter made out of a 55 gallon drum where the water comes in the top and goes out a side overflow, and I have a box made of lighting diffuser that sits on top of the barrel where the water comes in, and I usually fill it with polyester batting to use for mechanical filtration, but the only thing I don't like about the batting is that it is kind of expensive, and it is not reusable. I have been researching options for a replacement for the batting for when I restart the filter in the spring, and I came across AquaMaxx filter pads that are machine washable, and I like them, but they come in both 50 and 100 micron sizes. I fear that 50 microns might be too fine, but I worry that 100 microns might not be fine enough, since 50 microns is twice as fine as 100 microns. The pump runs at 3500 GPH. Which do you think would be best, the 50 micron or the 100 micron? I'm not sure what the fineness of the batting was, I just got it at Walmart.
I use polyester filling out of bargain basement pillows. The pillows are very cheap and awful, as pillows, but of course it's the filling i'm after so who cares. The amount of filling I use per week coupled with the amount of filling that each pillow has, coupled with the dirt cheap price, and you can't go wrong. Basically i'm getting 2-3 months filtration for a little over £3!

I'm in the UK and get mine from ASDA, which is owned by your Walmart. I certainly can't say for certain that Walmart stocks a similar cheap pillow in the home furnishings dept but it's got to be worth having a look. Even if Walmart don't do these pillows you can get wads of polyester batting on line, big rolls of it, for not a great deal of money.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I use polyester filling out of bargain basement pillows. The pillows are very cheap and awful, as pillows, but of course it's the filling i'm after so who cares. The amount of filling I use per week coupled with the amount of filling that each pillow has, coupled with the dirt cheap price, and you can't go wrong. Basically i'm getting 2-3 months filtration for a little over £3!

I'm in the UK and get mine from ASDA, which is owned by your Walmart. I certainly can't say for certain that Walmart stocks a similar cheap pillow in the home furnishings dept but it's got to be worth having a look. Even if Walmart don't do these pillows you can get wads of polyester batting on line, big rolls of it, for not a great deal of money.
Yeah, I used to use rolled polyester batting, and I'd like to get something reusable instead.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im not sure how this would relate but i messed around with 10, 50, 100, 200, and 300 micron filter socks. Anything less than 200 is a p.i.t.a for me. 200 was perfect. Then again this is in a tank not pond

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I want something similar to the batting, but I'm not sure exactly how many microns that is. The pond probably has more debris than a tank. I'm also having trouble finding filter media larger than 100 microns that's just in a sheet and not in a filter sock.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Does anyone know where I can find media which is less fine than 100 microns, maybe 200-300 microns, in just the sheet form, not in filter socks? I really need a reusable material for my pond filter, and 100 microns is too fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store