1000 gallon aquarium heating?

Eric gibson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2017
Hi everyone I'm planning on building a 1000 gallon plywood aquarium. Currently have a 125 gallon. I'm just trying to work out all the kinks befor I embark on this journey. I'm planning on using a 3 barrel system for filtration. Barrels are 45 gallon a piece. My question is what would be the cheapest way to heat this freshwater monster?? Any help, opinions, or inight will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
What will the ambient temperature be where the tank and filtration will be located? That will make a huge difference in the method of heating.

Reactions: DIFish

Eric gibson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2017
Yea I'ma definitely frame with 2x4s just not real sure how would be the cheapest way to heat it

Eric gibson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2017
In the summer we usually leave the house on about 69 and in the winter we usually keep it on 70

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I'm not sure if anyone has done this, but maybe a small tankless water heater? I have one for my 1100sq/ft cabin and it's super easy to regulate temps. Obviously mines for hot showers, but I can dial it back to barely warmer than the cold water. And there's several smaller units than mine. I haven't tested lowest temps it puts out, but I can if you want.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
after reading my post I realized this won't work Haha. My bad.
I'm not sure if anyone has done this, but maybe a small tankless water heater? I have one for my 1100sq/ft cabin and it's super easy to regulate temps. Obviously mines for hot showers, but I can dial it back to barely warmer than the cold water. And there's several smaller units than mine. I haven't tested lowest temps it puts out, but I can if you want.
e

Eric gibson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2017
That would be good man I appriciate it I don't think I would need too big of one. Hopefully they are not that expensive.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
It only comes on when I turn on hot water. So im not sure how you'd rig that. It's "on demand". At first I thought I was a genius. That only lasted a few seconds...;)

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Also cheapest how? Cheapest to set up? Cheapest running cost? Plumbing in a spa water heater will probably be the cheapest to set up, but any resistive electric willl be about the same cost to run.

I'd probably be looking at heat pump water heaters. Other than solar they're by far the cheapest running cost option for heating water here. There are dozens on Aliexpress that claim to be for aquariums. I don't know if that would be better than a repurposed residential unit though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store