10ft Plywood build advice/help

kwantz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Ontario
Long time lurker of this board. I don't post often.

I had a question. I've been trying to look everywhere over the internet to see how people are building plywood tanks that are longer than 10 feet? I'm looking to build a 10ft long x 5ft wide x 30" tall tank.

How are people adding the extra length to their plywood aquariums as they only come in 8 foot lengths here locally. . I've tried calling everywhere in a reasonable distance to see if they had longer pieces. Can someone lead me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
screw join onto 4x2 big tanks will need something to give extra strength. Wont be much of an issue if you fiber glass it

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
You can special order 10' plywood from a good lumber yard. You can also find 5' wide ply as well.

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
Would a laminated sheet be stronger than a single sheet? I'm thinking of laminating two 3/4 sheets and fiber glassing the seams.

kwantz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Ontario
Could I use a pocket jig and screw join a couple 4x5 sheets? It's the only way I can get the sheets down the basement. Then just use fiberglass at the joints?

kwantz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Ontario
screw join onto 4x2 big tanks will need something to give extra strength. Wont be much of an issue if you fiber glass it

Could I use a pocket jig and screw join a couple 4x5 sheets? It's the only way I can get the sheets down the basement. Then just use fiberglass at the joints?

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
I wouldn't trust that all. You might get away with pocket screws if you fiber glassed the entire panel inside and out

kwantz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Ontario
What's recommended ......
I'd like a 10 to. 15 foot long plywood. Tank... I just have no way of. Getting it to the basement.due to the demensions of WIndows. As well as stair case.....

Need. Some. Ideas.....

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
If you can only get 5' sections down there I would laminate them together. So say you glue and screw one 5' section to another but offset 2' feet. Then glue and screw another one that buts up to the first one until you get the length you want. Then I would fiber glass the seams on the inside and then fiberglass the entire back panel. It would be solid.

Reactions: kwantz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store