11'' flowerhorn tankmates

darkemotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
cambodia
I have a big flowerhorn which is mean ass hell and I can't seem to keep anything with even a two feet silver arowana. any of you guy have any luck with you flowerhorn setup? I am looking for a good tank mate which can handle the flowerhorns aggression. btw the tank is a 100 gallon. he is in there by himself with a pleco. I was wondering if a 13 inch redline can last with him thanks for the suggestions. :feedback:

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
At 11" the flowerhorn would be a massive fish already. I personally do not think the redline would stand a chance at 13" and it being the Fh's tank already. At that size fish and that size tank it will be hard to put anything in there with it. You could do a catfish

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
try african mbuna cichlids. cheap and expendable, so if he kills one every now and then its no big deal, but chances are he may completely ignore them

attempting other big aggressive tankmates is futile.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I wouldn't recommend anything with a male flowerhorn in a 100g tank.

darkemotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
cambodia
I was wondering if flowerhorn mess with large catfish anyone try? I think my tank is enough space for that flowerhorn because he has so much space.

darkemotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
cambodia
piranha45 said:
try african mbuna cichlids. cheap and expendable, so if he kills one every now and then its no big deal, but chances are he may completely ignore them

attempting other big aggressive tankmates is futile.
are you talking about like electric yellow's? I have a 1 and 1/2 inch one.

darkemotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
cambodia
so you think I can put that size in? I feed my flowerhorn feeders bigger than him. are you sure he won't get eaten? well who cares he is my nephews fish haha.

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
To be honest with you i think your going to struggle with adding anything with your Flowerhorn in the 100 gal aquaria.

The Flowerhorn like most Cichlids are very terratorial so if he's been in the tank on his own for some time now he won't tollerate any other spieces in HIS ! tank.

Try a bigger tank but befor you add the FH add the other fish first let them settle then add the FH also add some rocks to divide the tank up so that the fish can all set up new terratory's each as a retreat if they get a little stressed.

darkemotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
cambodia
I have done that. I put him in my 180 gallon with my four arowanas ranging from 17-24 inches and a royal pleco he beat everyone up except the pleco and I also tryed my 240 and he just keeps on picking againt the tankmates that are already settled and my fish are hugh. I just wanna get a big snakehead like 27 inches I bet that will hold a good fight. I am also thinking giant gourami but I can't find any big ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store