110G SA Riparium Build

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I had a group of pink tails 7 in total. They were not skittish and I really liked them. This was in a 7foot tank. They grow more beautiful with age.
View attachment 1373350
Well it's making a miraculous recovery. Accepting hikari cichlid gold and meal worms. Scales are healing already and it's more active. Fingers crossed it settles in as it compliments the silver dollars and pictus cats nicely.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I had a pink tail chalceus in a 225g aquarium 3' wide and I found it suffocated one day. It must have flown into the side of the aquarium and knocked itself out. He had plenty of room and was fine until then, So yeah they really do have a reputation for flying around the tank at quick speeds.

Mine was a different species/subsspecies, it only had a pink tail and no yellow in its lower fins

Your set up looks beautiful you did a great job! Love those wood columns that look like roots.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I had a pink tail chalceus in a 225g aquarium 3' wide and I found it suffocated one day. It must have flown into the side of the aquarium and knocked itself out. He had plenty of room and was fine until then, So yeah they really do have a reputation for flying around the tank at quick speeds.

Mine was a different species/subsspecies, it only had a pink tail and no yellow in its lower fins

Your set up looks beautiful you did a great job! Love those wood columns that look like roots.
Thanks for the nice compliments! Well as if you predicted it - it would appear the pink tail has hit the glass or one of the islands quite hard in the night. It's 'nose' is very damaged and it's now got popeye in one eye. Just as it's scales heal - another thing!

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
PLANT UPDATE

So... the air plants ended up rotting at their bases - I guess the humidity was just too much. So they're now out.

The salvinia disappeared over night. Clearly the SDs realised it was edible. So that is no longer present.

However the anubias and java moss continues to do very well. All the anubias have fresh leaves and roots each day now.

With all the experimenting - I think I'll just be leaving the plants now to mature and grow. Hopefully the java moss will completely cover all 3 islands eventually.

20190525_230947.jpg

20190525_232125.jpg

20190525_232538.jpg

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
FISH UPDATE

Sadly the pink tail didn't make it. I'm put off trying another. To be honest, the acara seems happier now.

I feel I've still got some room for more stocking.. So would be greatful for any more suggestions. Thought at the momentis to just add to the SD school. Also thought about hatchet fish.

Currently have:
1 EBA
6 SD
3 Pictus cats

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hatchets would be cool. Or maybe a larger small schooling fish? Ive got a 75g that was going to be a "show case" for my Schoutedeni puffer. I added my congos and 6 african red eye tetras for some more interest, those tetras steal the show tbh!
Nice looking tank!

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Hatchets would be cool. Or maybe a larger small schooling fish? Ive got a 75g that was going to be a "show case" for my Schoutedeni puffer. I added my congos and 6 african red eye tetras for some more interest, those tetras steal the show tbh!
Nice looking tank!
Any suggestions for larger SA tetras or schooling fish? Like the idea a lot. Would have to be SA and too big for the mouth of the greedy pictus catfish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store