120 Dither fish

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
Currently I have a Red terror(female) and a Greenterror which I will be moving to a 120 gallon and I was wondering if I can put some dither fish to help control the aggression. If I am able to put dither fish which fish should I get. Both of my cichlids are around 6 inches.

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
what are the dimensions of the 120g? Both of the species you currently have grow relatively large and it will come down to the individual temperaments. As for dithers there are many species that may well work, this will be limited by the filtration. I would suggest a shoal of Spanner barbs (B. Lateristriga) as not too add a massive amount of waste, this may allow you to add a couple of smaller cichlids that would again help break up the aggression.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Spanner barbs get huge, my shoal of 6 use every inch, some get 25cm

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Unusual but possible, my largest is about 7"

Screenshot_2017-09-10-16-50-07.png

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
That's a really impressive specimen. I have never owned any that have gotten over 6". Making them a better choice than the normal tinfoil barb or silver dollar suggestions. Seeing that picture does however make me wonder why this is the case. Do you have a picture of them within your aquarium?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Currently I have a Red terror(female) and a Greenterror which I will be moving to a 120 gallon and I was wondering if I can put some dither fish to help control the aggression
The correct term is target fish, which is what one typically uses to strengthen the bond in a pair of fish, so that the focus of aggression is not on each other.

Dithers are used to bring less confident fish out in to the open, not to control aggression.

Reactions: Bandit87

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
what are the dimensions of the 120g? Both of the species you currently have grow relatively large and it will come down to the individual temperaments. As for dithers there are many species that may well work, this will be limited by the filtration. I would suggest a shoal of Spanner barbs (B. Lateristriga) as not too add a massive amount of waste, this may allow you to add a couple of smaller cichlids that would again help break up the aggression.
The
The tank is only 4 feet long but it is 24 inches wide and 18 inches tall. Being that the festae is a female it will get large but not too large for the tank.

Cichlids621

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2017
The correct term is target fish, which is what one typically uses to strengthen the bond in a pair of fish, so that the focus of aggression is not on each other.

Dithers are used to bring less confident fish out in to the open, not to control aggression.
I have heard this before but I want too add more fish to the tank anyway and it's not big enough for another cichlid so even if it didn't help with aggression do you think the dither fish would be ok in this tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store