120 Gallon boltless shelving

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
Hey guys, just wondering if these metal shelving rack will carry the 120 gallon on top and 40 gallon breeder + 15 gallon on the middle. Or any ideas to modify the rack to become sturdier to support the 120 gallon glass tank. Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
im glad you ask the question as youre filling the tank lol.

what are the shelves rated for weight-wise? that's your answer right there.

you are well over 1000 pounds with everything filled, so if that rack is rated high enough you'll be fine.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
im glad you ask the question as youre filling the tank lol.

what are the shelves rated for weight-wise? that's your answer right there.

you are well over 1000 pounds with everything filled, so if that rack is rated high enough you'll be fine.
I didn't finished filling it after a heard some creaking noise. lol

To be honest i don't know what's the capacity of the shelves.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have some of those shelves in the garage and I think they are rated at about 1000 lbs but I wouldn't trust them to that. They are constantly breaking with heavy items sitting on them and they tend to bow pretty bad under heavy loads.

I think you definitely need something else or a DIY stand.

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
I have some of those shelves in the garage and I think they are rated at about 1000 lbs but I wouldn't trust them to that. They are constantly breaking with heavy items sitting on them and they tend to bow pretty bad under heavy loads.

I think you definitely need something else or a DIY stand.
per shelf or whole? I don't want to build another rack. Do you have any ideas how to support it? or modify it to make it stronger.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Not a chance in hell I would trust that shelf. The shelf has little pins that stick out and go through the supports, correct? Those will likely be the failure point. That is the same as building a stand and counting on the screws to carry the weight. Also are you able to get an arm into the lower tanks? Those look terrible to work in due to the low clearance

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
Not a chance in hell I would trust that shelf. The shelf has little pins that stick out and go through the supports, correct? Those will likely be the failure point. That is the same as building a stand and counting on the screws to carry the weight. Also are you able to get an arm into the lower tanks? Those look terrible to work in due to the low clearance
That's why im planning to modify it.. Put some metal rod in 4 corners that would help support it.
Yes i can fit my arm thru the space since the 40 gallon is pushed a little backwards and i wouldn't put it that way if i couldn't fit my arm to do some maintenance.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
DON'T DO IT!!!

I have a lot of experience with those shelves and they do not hold up well as they age. I believe they are only rated for about 800-1000lbs total, not per shelf...at least none of the units I've used have ever come close to holding that much and have broken with a lot less. And yes, I have broken those types of shelves before with much less weight than you are planning to put on it.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to build or buy a stand sturdy enough handle the tanks. I'm telling you, if you use that unit, whether you modify it or not, it will eventually fail on you and you will lose everything.

image.jpeg

Here is a picture of one I broke. That white pump that is in the bottom of the picture weighs about 75lbs and was the only significant weight item on the shelf when it broke. You are wanting to put about 20x that weight on it...it will not end well!!!

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just really don't want to see anybody lose any of their equipment and when I have experience with something first-hand, that I know will not work, I am very adamant about stressing the importance of staying safe and not going forward with it.

Please, please, please, take my advice seriously, do some research and either build or buy a stand that will handle the weight of those tanks. You are looking at over 1500lbs easily, possibly closer to 2000lbs. It's not something to take chances with.

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
DON'T DO IT!!!

I have a lot of experience with those shelves and they do not hold up well as they age. I believe they are only rated for about 800-1000lbs total, not per shelf...at least none of the units I've used have ever come close to holding that much and have broken with a lot less. And yes, I have broken those types of shelves before with much less weight than you are planning to put on it.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to build or buy a stand sturdy enough handle the tanks. I'm telling you, if you use that unit, whether you modify it or not, it will eventually fail on you and you will lose everything.

View attachment 1187425

Here is a picture of one I broke. That white pump that is in the bottom of the picture weighs about 75lbs and was the only significant weight item on the shelf when it broke. You are wanting to put about 20x that weight on it...it will not end well!!!

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just really don't want to see anybody lose any of their equipment and when I have experience with something first-hand, that I know will not work, I am very adamant about stressing the importance of staying safe and not going forward with it.

Please, please, please, take my advice seriously, do some research and either build or buy a stand that will handle the weight of those tanks. You are looking at over 1500lbs easily, possibly closer to 2000lbs. It's not something to take chances with.
I appreciate your concern I just don't want to build from scratch. I'd rather work with the one I have and make it stronger.

In my case it's different from you pump because the 120g weight is evenly distributed compared to your white pump which is only a portion of the shelf which will definitely break it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store