125/150g

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Anyone have any experience with keeping a full grown fahaka in a tank that is only 18 inches wide? When I was looking to buy my fahaka two and half years ago I had a thread going discussing tank size. The general consensus was that a 120 wold be adequate. Now that she is 16 inches, I do not think the tank is big enough. I consistenly see 125s and 150 gallon tanks availible. I have not seen too many 180s. Would a tank two inches wider then my fish be alright? Right now I am testing her out with tankmates. She has not killed the three bala sharks yet, so ideally the tank would be roomy enough for some "friends"

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thats why I am using cheap bala sharks. Also, I am well aware of their temperaments and the chances of tankmates working out. I am more concerned about 18 inches being a wide enough tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
i'm planning on getting a 180 for a farhaka when i move in a couple of months time, and thinking of trying out a tank mate or two while hes a juvenile to see if they will be compatible or not (although i know its still a risk)

but just out of curiousity if one were to risk putting in a tank mate, what sort of tank mate would be best??? something thats flat like a stingray, small like tetras, elongated like a spiny eel or something with a meaner temprament to match the puffer??? and yes, i know i'm a bit :screwy: for thinking this...but i'm hoping to get one of those 1% farhakas when i do get one...

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Fahaka, not farhaka.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
lol still no one has answered his question
bump for you kuz i want to know the answer too! :headbang2

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
All fish are in danger of getting eaten. Either the puffer is a killer or he isn't & could become one at any moment. No tank mates are 100% safe. I've tried neons (small) to tiger barbs (fast), none were safe.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I have 2 convicts in with my 6-7'' fahaka and they have lasted for about 6 months now. It all started when my fahaka tank started leaking. I had to put the puffer in there tank so i could reseal his. He was in there for about 2 weeks and never killed them so they went back into his tank once it was done. So far he has taken a small bite out of the males tail. Cause the cons thought they would stand there ground while trying to breed. They have tried twice since then and it makes for a good show, cause they nip the fahaka like crazy and he just sits there and eats the eggs. They are only about 2'' and the female is smaller. So I don't think they can hurt the fahaka and he doesn't care about them at all. I am sure they are food in the making and that is fine by me.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
How big is your fahaka now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store