125 gallon double tank stand?

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
Is it sheets of plywood underneath the top and bottom tank? If so what size did you use? Is there any upright support on the back side of the tank? Did you use screws or nails? Are the 2x6s that span the 6' length doubled up?

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
blaze_420;2340729; said:
lol love the halo helmet :)
Yeah I noticed that in his picture. I need to dust off my brigadier and bring him out to play. I'm a bit worried about being terrible again though. lol

rocker85675

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
edmonton, alberta
Deepsouth;2334940; said:
I have most of my tanks currently with double stands, due to wall space. Do any of you know if it is possible to make a 125 gallon stand that can hold 2 tanks? What worries me on this is that on the front if would be a 6' length with no bracing (since you have to put the other tank below it in the stand). I'm thinking that maybe a 4.4 on the front would work, but not sure. What do you all think? Whats the biggest double tank stand that you have built?
totally possible. just dont do any of that red-green 2x4 or 4x4 stuff though. get some square steel tubing and weld it up or have someone cut and weld it, its easier than you think. its will be stronger than it needs to be and easy on the eyes too. you can even powdercoat it afterwards

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Deepsouth;2340703; said:
Is it sheets of plywood underneath the top and bottom tank? If so what size did you use? Is there any upright support on the back side of the tank? Did you use screws or nails? Are the 2x6s that span the 6' length doubled up?
No plywood, but did use a styro sheet under the 125. No upright support on the back. Screws. NO the 2 by 6s are NOT doubled up. No screws bear any of the load, so essentially the thing would still stand if all the screws were removed.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
DB junkie;2342166; said:
No plywood, but did use a styro sheet under the 125. No upright support on the back. Screws. NO the 2 by 6s are NOT doubled up. No screws bear any of the load, so essentially the thing would still stand if all the screws were removed.
Hmm. Ok thanks.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
I'm still curious what is supporting the ends of the bottom tank. Since you have the 2x6 in the upright position it takes up the lip, so that you don't have any edge to place the tank on. I'm guessing the long supports are what hold most of the weight.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
There is doubled up 2 by 6s on the ends........ So the tank DOES have support on all 4 sides.

The top one is only supported front and back though...... I didn't finish it. Kinda tricky to explain but there is a way to do it, and I'de definetly do that before putting a tank up there..... I just sold my 125s before I actually utilized both tiers of the stand. I didn't even have the top screwed together till I went to put the 75 up there...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store