125 Poly House

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Yes your 3 have taught my 4 to investigate my hand anytime it's in the tank and to generally pester the crap out of me til I give in and give treats (catfish). I mostly like it actually and yes I can pretty much lift them almost out of the water. They don't seem to mind until out so I don't take them out.
I say the more the merrier! Realistically thought atleast 3, magpie magpie 3 mixed with my 4 no issues at all.
the only problem with them investigating your hand is when they almost get sucked up into the gravel vac luckily I yanked the tube out as fast as possible and saved the little dumba$$

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
the only problem with them investigating your hand is when they almost get sucked up into the gravel vac luckily I yanked the tube out as fast as possible and saved the little dumba$$
Yeah its kind of a pain like I said. So there's a routine I go through now I almost have to annoy them by picking them up and eventually they are over it and go back to doing what they normally do, then I can do whatever maintanance. I still have to pay attention because a couple will still come nosing around poking my hand.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Do it for sure, they're great. I highly recommend getting 5+ if you can. They are definitely a social animal, and it's much easier to get them eating and comfortable when they're in a group.

Mine are hand tame. When I plant they will come investigate my hands, I can feed them from my hands, and I can lift them without them darting away. They're seemingly very intelligent.
Yes, definitely a little colony of them. That will come with time. Just getting back into freshwater and set up a little 40b to hold me over until I get the big tank.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yes your 3 have taught my 4 to investigate my hand anytime it's in the tank and to generally pester the crap out of me til I give in and give treats (catfish). I mostly like it actually and yes I can pretty much lift them almost out of the water. They don't seem to mind until out so I don't take them out.
I say the more the merrier! Realistically thought atleast 3, magpie magpie 3 mixed with my 4 no issues at all.
LOL... Hey you! We are cute and would like you to feed us now. Thanks.

I used to use a piece of mesh bag to cover the python end to avoid noodles from being sucked up the tube. I actually almost got a butterfly fish up there once - just weird timing/coincidence.

Reactions: twentyleagues

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I use mesh over my FX5 output to prevent the ropes from swimming up it. They’ll swim through the little corner piece all the time. They’re quite the pain sometimes.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I am thinking of picking up a CB Lap when I get home from vacation as I know a store local to me that has a bunch. However, I'm not sure how they would do with the senegal, delhezi, and ropefish. Anyone have input?

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Agree 3 minimum, and mine were easily hand tamed as well.

Thanks for the updates! Happy you were able to give the eye-less weeksii a home.
agreed!!!
MooseTheWizard MooseTheWizard love your eyeless weeksii. That’s amazing that she gets around fine and still eats. Glad you made a thread and looking forward to more updates on the POLY HAUS
Imaging a rope/noodle lift and it is great. They love that catfish. That’s cool that they used observational learning. Now you get hugs from all 7 ropes.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
7B902F32-A131-43C6-B8FB-B7DA8129F1C7.jpeg Bad way to start the new year. Got home last night after a 2 week vacation to find my teugelsi dead.

He constantly had milky eye and white nostrils and a white caudal fin, leading me to believe he had a bacterial infection. Medication didn’t work and the other fish in the tank were unaffected. His sibling also failed to thrive and I am thinking that due to poor breeding practices their genetics were just not able to make the cut. It’s a shame, but the tank was in excellent shape, their diet is great, and the other fish are thriving. I can’t think of anything else.

As it stands I won’t be buying any more pet store bichirs. The cost isn’t worth it and it’s not a great experience randomly losing fish to poor breeding.

I’ve frozen the fish and will be preserving him as he was my first bichir.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my god everyone's fish are dying this week your's, bathawk's half banded eel, Richyrich's fire eel, and flamenco-t's 15 year old striped raphael

I'm sorry for your loss

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store