125g; thousands loss; house a mess; 12 year old curse

ronald021

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
TJ
Title pretty much tells you what I'm going to talk about. I just need to vent right now. Went out with family from 1pm-10pm for memorial day. Today is a MEMORABLE DAY all right. Came home and thought someone robbed my house cause everything was on the floor. As I cautiously walked in and turn on the lights I saw the onslaught in my fish tank. Most painful was my beautiful arowana that I got 12 years ago when he was still a baby. Sadly, I got this arowana to replace my dead arowana 12 years ago because of moving house. Let me explain more:

My dad used to own fish emporium in los angeles back in the days. When I was born, he bought a baby arowana. When I was 12, I had a brother. We moved to a bigger house. During the moving process, dad's 12 year old arowana died. We hired 4 workers to handle that arowana during moving day and it still died. The 1 hour commute proved to much for it. Heart broken, my dad got another arowana. 12 years later, it died. Fast forward to tonight.

The tank was completely empty and all my fishes were laying on the gravel. 5 beautiful flowerhorns, 18 blood parents (several mating pairs), 1 14' arowana, and 1 red tail giant gourami. I was in total shock and went to unplug my filter and got shocked myself. My dad and I quickly transported all the fishes to our emergency tank in the garage. RTG survived along with about 8 parrots. Everything else is died.

After we did all we can, I went to inspect the tank. Turns out the bottom glass cracked. This is a 24 years old tank. Since my dad did a water change yesterday, we think that he might have filled the water up too high. Also, we have plenty of gravel.

My mom is done with us having a big tank. My dad is currently in shock. I have recovered, but just extremely sad. The carpet clearner man is coming tomorrow at 8:30am.

Since I'm going to be leaving home for a very long time soon, I might get my dad a 200g+ ACRYLIC tank (yes, I'm emphasizing the ACRYLIC) and find him an equivalent arowana. The most expensive and hardest part is getting him that same arowana. Must find a baby now, and so far all the stores that I have been to in LA and OC have pretty low quality arowanas with very little natural color.

Will post pictures later.

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
Wow, 24 year old tank. I wouldn't trust much equipment that old, regardless of how well it was kept. Sorry to hear about your disaster.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
sorry to hear about your loss..... but the best way to get back on the horse is by the way you described

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store