135 Gallon Predator Stocking Ideas

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Hi, I am planning on getting a 180 Gallon (96x18x24) in about a month, and I will be moving my fish out of my 135 (72x18.5x23.5) into the new tank. I will have an empty 135 gallon that I would like to try something new with. I have a Red-Eyed Red-Tailed Dwarf Puffer in a 45 Gallon, and I wanted to do my first tank to have only large fish. I was wondering if I could keep 1 Oscar, and 1 Fahaka puffer in a 135. Please give other ideas, thanks for the help.

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
Hi, I am planning on getting a 180 Gallon (96x18x24) in about a month, and I will be moving my fish out of my 135 (72x18.5x23.5) into the new tank. I will have an empty 135 gallon that I would like to try something new with. I have a Red-Eyed Red-Tailed Dwarf Puffer in a 45 Gallon, and I wanted to do my first tank to have only large fish. I was wondering if I could keep 1 Oscar, and 1 Fahaka puffer in a 135. Please give other ideas, thanks for the help.
If it were me, I wouldn't combine them. I don't know much about puffers, but Oscars are aggressive, especially as adults. I would do something like a pair of Oscars and a larger (but not too large) pleco. That's what I have in my 125g.

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
If it were me, I wouldn't combine them. I don't know much about puffers, but Oscars are aggressive, especially as adults. I would do something like a pair of Oscars and a larger (but not too large) pleco. That's what I have in my 125g.
How about either 2 Oscars and a Sunshine Pleco, or 1 Fahaka Puffer and a Sunshine Pleco.

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
How about either 2 Oscars and a Sunshine Pleco, or 1 Fahaka Puffer and a Sunshine Pleco.
2 Oscars and a sunshine could definitely work. Especially if you get the Oscars young and the sunshine large. If you get them all small the Oscars will grow fast and likely try to eat the sunshine. So I'd recommend at least a 9-10" sunshine.

Reactions: Caveden

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
2 Oscars and a sunshine could definitely work. Especially if you get the Oscars young and the sunshine large. If you get them all small the Oscars will grow fast and likely try to eat the sunshine. So I'd recommend at least a 9-10" sunshine.
Ok so if I got 2 2” Tiger Oscars and a 8” Sunshine Pleco would that work?

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
I mean, ultimately it will depend on the personality of the fish, but it has worked for me.

Fatpuffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2020
Fahaka do not have tank mates. They have food reserves. They can snap and kill in one day or 1 year. Any fish w fahaka can be a meal at anytime.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Fahakas will murder anything kept with them, even after a long period of inactivity. Most FW puffers generally will, with the exception of most SA puffers and T. schoutedeni (although they may still be inclined to show aggression and fin-nipping behavior). I remember visiting a Petco that had tossed in a tiny Fahaka with about two dozen FW angelfish and a few BN plecos- half of the angelfish were dead and the rest all had shredded fins, while the bristlenoses were mostly intact (although I wouldn't trust a fahaka to leave any plecos alone in the long run). You could just do a singular fahaka with no tankmates, or go with the oscars and the pleco (although a 135 is still really pushing it). There are a lot more stocking combinations you could do with smaller cichlids and/or more medium sized fish in general; why not go that route instead?

Reactions: tlindsey

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
Fahakas will murder anything kept with them, even after a long period of inactivity. Most FW puffers generally will, with the exception of most SA puffers and T. schoutedeni (although they may still be inclined to show aggression and fin-nipping behavior). I remember visiting a Petco that had tossed in a tiny Fahaka with about two dozen FW angelfish and a few BN plecos- half of the angelfish were dead and the rest all had shredded fins, while the bristlenoses were mostly intact (although I wouldn't trust a fahaka to leave any plecos alone in the long run). You could just do a singular fahaka with no tankmates, or go with the oscars and the pleco (although a 135 is still really pushing it). There are a lot more stocking combinations you could do with smaller cichlids and/or more medium sized fish in general; why not go that route instead?
Well, I could do another community tank, but I would like to keep some different community fish and at this point, I have a lot of different community fish types. (Many Types Of Tetras, Pleco, Cory Catfish, Rams, Smaller Puffers, Gouramis, Angels, And Peaceful Cichlids) If you have any other suggestions that I might be very happy with instead of the Fahaka or Oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store