14 year old Midas Cichlid Not Eating

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Regarding feeding habits and considering the overall health and appearance of the fish, I would keep doing what you’ve been doing for the past 14 years...no need to switch up things now.

You have a right to be concerned by such a dramatic shift in habits, however, have you tried his favorite treat? Something he would never have refused in the past?

AquariumLver

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2021
Somewhere in the States
ThAnk you everyone for your nice comments! Yes, just today I have tried his favorite—shrimp pellets. He wouldn’t go for those either. Time to bring out the big guns—-garlic soaked earth worms. Today marks the 6th day he has not been eating. Doing a 30% water change as I type this...

oh, and yes he’s been a solo fish most of his life. He just kills everything I put in the tank, so I stopped trying to add tank mates.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Something may have upset him but from what I see and the description given, there is no real reason to believe he is actually sick. 6 days of not food may not be normal for him but it is not very long at all. He may be constipated? Has he been pooping normally during these 6 days?

Reactions: Jexnell

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Wow, he's14 years old! He looks great. Solid white with a huge nuchal hump. Keep up the good work. Sorry he is not eating. I wish I had an answer for you. Best of luck to to you AquariumLver AquariumLver .

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Beautiful, well-cared for fish. Keep doing what you've been doing. I have a couple of fish almost that old and sometimes they look like they're fading out.

I do a couple of extra water changes and don't feed for a couple of days. Can't hurt to give him some epsom salt to help clean him out.

Good luck!

AquariumLver

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2021
Somewhere in the States
Oh, and thank you for the kind comments
Not that I have seen? I tried giving him some peas, but he will not eat them. This is very unlike him. He’s usually a ravenous eater....
Beautiful, well-cared for fish. Keep doing what you've been doing. I have a couple of fish almost that old and sometimes they look like they're fading out.

I do a couple of extra water changes and don't feed for a couple of days. Can't hurt to give him some epsom salt to help clean him out.

Good luck!
Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store