150 gallon wild discus project

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Hello fellow discus and fish lovers. I’ll be setting up a 150 gallon fat boy tank with wild type discus. I’ll be purchasing some yellow faced Heckels, and a few cupieau types. Also thinking of getting some blue knight discus they jack Wattley created but not sure if I want to mix them in with my wild types so there’s not more potential cross breeding going on so may just add those ones to my altum angel and geophagus sveni show tank. All these fish are coming from discus.com who raise jack Wattleys discus. Fish will be raised in soft water from my ro unit mixed in with a little well water and Kent marine ro right. My well water is extremely hard so not going to raise them in direct tap well water. This will also trigger more potential breeding. I’ll be feeding them on my home made diy Beefheart mix along with nls pellets. They will be provided with a few water changes per week to ensure good growth. Tank will be bare bottom as well. I will update this post as I get things setup and than followed up once the fish arrive. Main goal is to raise these fish to beautiful show fish and to get some pairs out of them for breeding projects. Have a great weekend everyone.

Reactions: Lilyann

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Getting the tank filled up this evening. Really debating getting a thin layer of white sand for the bottom mainly because I have to grow out some juvie geophagus sveni that will be starting out still around 1 inch in this tank with the discus so they need some sand to sift around in. Cleanup will still be plenty easy so I’m not too worried about adding the sand. What do you guys think.? Sand or no sand? I’ve always grown out discus in strictly barebottom tanks but can’t imagine a little sand hurting. The discus will be around the 4 to 5 inch range when I get them too so they won’t be quite as fragile as juvies would be.

CCA72881-549A-42BE-ACFA-449EE14FECCE.jpeg

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Ya I’m going to add a thin layer off white sand to it. I’ll be doing many water changes so all should be good. Also have a consistent filter with two large sponges in the tank so filtration should be good. Fish should be arriving this Friday

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Update time. Wild discus will be arriving this Friday. The group will consist of royal capieau and iripixi. Thinking of adding some Heckels in the near future or more iripixi. The iripixi are stunning looking fish so we will see. Will be adding the white sand before the discus are added to the tank as well along with the Seiryu stone and other driftwood.

I’m also growing out and raising F1 geophagus sveni Rio Parana and F1 guinacara Sphenozona red spotted from Suriname. Also in the tank is a L160 cactus pleco, lda07 and an l014.

A little more info on the setup.

I’m raising these fish in a kh of 3-4 degrees with ro mixed with a little well water and Kent marine RO right. Keeping the kh at 3-4 degrees will help eliminate any ph swings. The ph is around 6.2. I’ll be doing about 4 to 5 water changes per week for good growth and to keep things real nice and prestine.

I’ll update a video once the discus are all settled in.

WATCH IN HD

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Adding a few more driftwood pieces Monday. Fish got delayed due to bad weather to arrive Tuesday. Also adding a group of cardinal tetras in there from the same supplier. Will have to quarantine discus for 2 to 3 weeks first before adding to their show tank.

60F58514-415D-49DC-B94A-CE04CEA26D52.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store