150 US gallon stocking opinions

flumnum

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2022
hey all. new account but longtime lurker.

I'm looking to get some opinions on the stocking of my 150 gallon tank. It is recently empty and I'm looking to fill it with a few larger, flashier, cichlids.
As it currently stands, for stocking I'm considering:

1x pearlscale cichlid
1x salvini cichlid
1x Uaru Cichlid
1x Blushing Festivum

From my research it seems parameter wise the fishes can live together, but I can't find much on temperament. I have a friend who has had their pearlscale and salvini pair, however I'm not sure how they would treat the Uaru or festivum. If anyone has any other ideas for similar fish but with better temperaments, I'm all ears. My 150 is scaped with branches and large rock caves, so there is space and hiding spots.

Thanks in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hey all. new account but longtime lurker.

I'm looking to get some opinions on the stocking of my 150 gallon tank. It is recently empty and I'm looking to fill it with a few larger, flashier, cichlids.
As it currently stands, for stocking I'm considering:

1x pearlscale cichlid
1x salvini cichlid
1x Uaru Cichlid
1x Blushing Festivum

From my research it seems parameter wise the fishes can live together, but I can't find much on temperament. I have a friend who has had their pearlscale and salvini pair, however I'm not sure how they would treat the Uaru or festivum. If anyone has any other ideas for similar fish but with better temperaments, I'm all ears. My 150 is scaped with branches and large rock caves, so there is space and hiding spots.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome aboard

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Not to be nit-picky but I know about 5 species of cichlids called pearl scales, or pearl cichlids.
Do you mean one one the Geophagus braziliensus complex
'These come from southern Brazil, and often appreciate lower temps (70s) than Amazonian species like Uaru, and and the festivum complex (low to mid 80s).
At the constant higher temps, the braziliensus complex also may become hyper aggressive.

As far as water parameters go, Amazon water parameters are usually much softer, low pH and mineral poor.

T salvini are from Mexico, tend to be much more aggressive once mature, and usually prefer hard, high pH water.

Reactions: tlindsey

flumnum

Feeder Fish
Aug 15, 2022
Not to be nit-picky but I know about 5 species of cichlids called pearl scales, or pearl cichlids.
Do you mean one one the Geophagus braziliensus complex
'These come from southern Brazil, and often appreciate lower temps (70s) than Amazonian species like Uaru, and and the festivum complex (low to mid 80s).
At the constant higher temps, the braziliensus complex also may become hyper aggressive.

As far as water parameters go, Amazon water parameters are usually much softer, low pH and mineral poor.

T salvini are from Mexico, tend to be much more aggressive once mature, and usually prefer hard, high pH water.
Totally fair. Thanks for the reply. Taxonomy can be confusing. I was referring to the "herichthys carpintis" pearlscale cichlid.

I'm not too set on the Salvini. I find them pretty but would rather prioritize the safety of my other fish. Any other thoughts on good tank mates for the uaru/carpintis/festivum? Do you know anything about keeping pairs of these fish? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

Mazan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2022
I have two Uarus, 4 festivums, a severum, a blue acara and a pair of Cichlasomas in a 220 gallon tank. All pretty peaceful, but the Uarus are the most peaceful of all, I wouldn’t put any aggressive fish with them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Totally fair. Thanks for the reply. Taxonomy can be confusing. I was referring to the "herichthys carpintis" pearlscale cichlid.

I'm not too set on the Salvini. I find them pretty but would rather prioritize the safety of my other fish. Any other thoughts on good tank mates for the uaru/carpintis/festivum? Do you know anything about keeping pairs of these fish? Thanks in advance for any help. :)
I have heard of carpintus as pearl scale, but not what I first think of, glad you clarified.
I kept carpintus in winter at room temps of high 60sF, with a seasonal bump up in summer.
This is another Mexican hard water species, that could work with salvini, if they were grown out together, and accepted each others territorial needs.
I personally would not keep them with Uaru of festivum, they will not be equip to deal with the territorial aggression.
1660650072705.png
The carpintus (above) I kept came from Lago Chairel, a seasonally brackish water lake (beyond just cooler dips in temp in winter)
If you wanted a Central American tank mate in the Uaru shape, something like Oscura heterospilum could work.
As stated above Uaru are best kept in a shoal, with other S Americans, not Central/North American cichlids

I almost always keep only pairs when dealing with the more aggressive Central Americans,, I would grow out 6 or 8 juvies, but expect to just end up with a single pair in that size tank.
If a more community oriented tank with a number of species was desired, I'd stick to South American (if water parameters were apropos, such as soft, low to neutral pH, mineral poor, and low conductivity.

Last edited:

Mazan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2022
I was tired last night and wrote in a hurry. Yes, Uarus are best in a group ideally. I was only able to get 2 and they are not full sized yet, but they seem to be doing fine and nearly always go around together. They are totally peaceful yet not easily intimidated. Very nice fish. I find that Mesonauta is a good combination with them, I have four and they and the Uarus pretty much ignore each other. A group of each plus some large tetras would be a nice stocking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store