1570l (415g) Fiberglass round pool setup

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow. Cool set up. I’m interested to see how the sump holds up with the bio load over time.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
There'll be some more bio media going on there, also planning on a bunch of surface plants for nitrate managment. Besides that later on I'll be putting a 55g barrel for fluidized media. I think that much will handle 4 rays pretty well, if need arise I can figure something up to increase filtration, could probably put two more 55g barrels on the other corner of the pool.

Reactions: Matteus

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Got some more substrate in the pool, looking better now, will be looking into getting some big piece of wood with a "spider" like shape (few points touching ground, most of "body" suspended) and some surface plants for one half of the pool to be shadowed...

The male was courting the female earlier this week, I didn't see but someone from my house told me they copulated, afterwards I saw no courting from the male, I remember reading somewhere males don't show interest in breeding for sometime after they bred, so I don't think it's impossible they bred, but I didn't see any sperm in the tank... time will tell.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 18.17.01.jpeg

And then there's the other two females in QT, they're both eating earthworms, the small one (left side of tank) eats bloodworms too, I'll keep them in QT until they eat shrimp or my earthworms end, since they've alredy been dewormed (with Levmisole hydrochloride), I'm hoping that if they hang on until the earthworms end, when they're in the pool the competition will make them more eager to accept shrimp.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 18.17.01 (1).jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Do you have any idea how old they are, or if they are even sexually mature. It seems as if size doesn’t always matter but just wondering if you had any idea. They are wc right?

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Yup, they're wc, at the least the male and the two females in qt are 100% wc, I'll talk with the guy that got me the fair female, she might be cb, but I don't have much hopes of that. The age, I estimate them to be around 1~3 years, but that's just about as accurate I can go... which is still a pretty vague window.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
I've some good news, the big female in the qt has been eating shrimp for a few days now, transported her to the big pool, now it's only the small one being stubborn, I hope she'll eat soon, by mondat my uni starts and if she's not in the pool by then I'll waste 2-3 hours per day to come feed her, no one in my home has the stomach to chop up live earthworms it seems...

Anyway, here's the big girl in the pool.

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-14 at 13.22.49.jpeg

She's visibly thinner than the others, but time and food will solve that pretty well.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It’s always such a good feeling when they eat the right foods. It took me 3 months to get my bass pellet trained. My wife and I celebrated when it finally happened.

The one that you are trying to get on prawns, is that the only one that is in qt. I’m just wondering if it is introduced with the others if the others will teach it to eat the right foods?

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
That's very much possible yes, but she's alredy chewing on them, just spitting, so I'll rather wait a bit more than to risk having to move her twice if she doesn't do well with competition yet.

It'd be very hard to feed her worms in the pool, the others would eat most of it, here I can have a control on how much she eats of anything, if I decide to take a break from the starving method.

Perhaps I could have kept the bigger one that ate prawin in there for a little longer, that way she'd be able to "teach" with no need to stress the small one by moving her. Oh well, she seems pretty close alredy to eating prawn, I'll wait a bit more

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
How much is average cost for rays in the stores over there? I think you said your in Brazil? I would imagine you guys would get them at a much better price and I assume more varieties that we may not typically get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store